New (to me) Logan 821

ShagDog: What belts did you use? Would be interested in hearing from folks on what they think works best. ...

I just used some regular "v" belts (Bando Power King) from my local bearing store. Whether they work best, I don't know. But; my lathe works much smoother now with the new belts. J

Disassembled the quick change gear box over the weekend. Question for folks: grease or oil? All the gears are in really good shape, shape of the teeth seems to indicate the lathe had very little use. Did see that there was a fair bit of old, dried grease on most of the gears. Once cleaned up and ready to put back together, do I grease them or oil them? Thanks!

Assuming from the way that you worded the question that the GB does not have a sump and either an oil pump or splash lubrication, As ShagDog was thinking, if the GB has either a central place or multiple individual places for injecting oil, and if the only way to replace all grease every month is disassembly, then definitely oil. Grease will eventually dry out, with Murphy's law guaranteeing that where it dries will block at least some of the fresh oil from getting to where it needs to be.

No pics, sorry. At this point would be a box of parts. Also not sump or splash lubrication. Will need to look at it tonight to see if there are 1 or more oil injection ports. Will try to post a picture of the quick change housing also.

Here are pics of the QCGB (disassembled). No oil ports...20200908_205819.jpg20200908_205834.jpg

I'm still kinda leaning toward oil, especially if it can be squirted into the various holes in the box and reach all the gears. However, I really don't know. You might want to try to contact Logan Actuator Co. They may be able to tell you, and they might have a manual available.

Here are some pictures of the QCGB on my early 820 showing the location of the Gits oilers. The gearbox changed after serial number 46561, the later gearbox doesn't list any oil cups. I would still use oil for the bronze bushings.

logan820_a9_crop_pointer.pnglogan820_a10_crop_pointer.png.

Back