New to me Wells Index 847 help

I have been watching this build series
I've come to know Steve (the gentleman who made those wonderful videos). They have proven to be invaluable to me to use as a visual reference when trying to figure out how things work. There are 64 videos in that series. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV1RW-p5BeomUb3A4MmBNJooh6PU87zjp

I will mention that Steve didn't actually go that deep into the internals of the head so those videos may not help much for this subject.

Probably be a good idea to study this thread:

Quadruple thumbs up. I've actually downloaded ever photo from that thread and keep them as a local visual reference as well...

I've come to know Steve (the gentleman who made those wonderful videos). They have proven to be invaluable to me to use as a visual reference when trying to figure out how things work. There are 64 videos in that series. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV1RW-p5BeomUb3A4MmBNJooh6PU87zjp

I will mention that Steve didn't actually go that deep into the internals of the head so those videos may not help much for this subject.
Oh man, I just got to videos where he is dealing with the broken spindle... yikes!

I've got an 847, too. I disassembled the head completely during my rebuild, including that gearbox. The grease in mine was so hard that I had to chip it off the gears! Steve's video series was very useful, even though he didn't tear the guts out of the head. I actually worked out a deal to get some parts from his donor mill. He's great to deal with.
Anyway, the gearbox disassembly went smoothly. I just took my time and was careful not to force anything. I also kept everything (shims, gears, bearings) in the correct order. You should be able to do this. Mine went back together just fine.
The spring is a bit tricky to get engaged in the feed handle coupling. That caused me the most headache. You should make sure your spring assembly is intact and that the end is engaged. If so, all should be fine.
As mentioned, Well-Index still has a good many new parts. I'd guess the spring is one. They have been super helpful to me so far.
Good luck!
Doc

I've got an 847, too. I disassembled the head completely during my rebuild, including that gearbox. The grease in mine was so hard that I had to chip it off the gears! Steve's video series was very useful, even though he didn't tear the guts out of the head. I actually worked out a deal to get some parts from his donor mill. He's great to deal with.
Anyway, the gearbox disassembly went smoothly. I just took my time and was careful not to force anything. I also kept everything (shims, gears, bearings) in the correct order. You should be able to do this. Mine went back together just fine.
The spring is a bit tricky to get engaged in the feed handle coupling. That caused me the most headache. You should make sure your spring assembly is intact and that the end is engaged. If so, all should be fine.
As mentioned, Well-Index still has a good many new parts. I'd guess the spring is one. They have been super helpful to me so far.
Good luck!
Doc
Good point the order of reassembly of the quil engagement mechanism tricked me for a while. But the forums and videos were very helpful.

Does any one know if the variable speed head belts easily sourced? If I'm opening it up those are original equipment and I'm at least 2nd hand owner from business use

I'd be surprised if the belts were not readily obtainable. Mine were in good condition, so I didn't consider replacing them. Both had part numbers on them, but I don't have them handy here. I'd probably go to Wells-Index as one source.

Wasn't sure if it was a common style belt or not. Worst case Wells can destroy my wallet. I know soon as I break into the head I'm going to need the mill to fix the mill.... Hate that. Hopefully nothing is too jacked up with the feed gears. The crazy part about the quill feed is it was smooth before I started on day 1....yars later i never figured out the cause or able to fix.

Back