New to me Wells Index 847 help

So I finally started taking it apart this week. I didn't actually intend to take the head off but once I got started I couldn't stop. Lol. So, I've taken the entire head off and have removed all of the parts, cleaned them and re-assembled the auto downfeed gears to this point. I'm keeping a Google photos album with all of the raw pictures that I'm taking. Feel free to have a look.

I called Marty today for a recommendation on the grease they use. Like other manufacturers, Mobilux EP2 is what they use. I've actually had a difficult time finding that specifically as it appears to be back-ordered most places atm. I'm sure it's related to the global supply shortages. Hopefully for people reading this in the future that will be a thing of the past.

Hopefully i'll have it back together soon. I may just end up using the #2 grease I have on hand (the Red & Tacky).

I ended ordering the EP2 grease from the Netherlands…

The 847 uses different grease on different areas… the plaque with the serial number, shows what is used and where…

I have three different cartridges of grease and a gallon of Vactra oil…

C39DD60D-D461-498B-8752-6EA62C59716F.jpeg

Last edited:
I know the auto-down feed mechanism has been discussed on this thread and I've been working on animating the behavior in Fusion 360 over the past couple of days. Here's what I have so far. It's actually showing the interaction between the wishbone and the latching mechanism on the front of the mill. I'll probably be adding to this animation because now I'm compelled to show the behavior of the auto stop when the quail gets to your depth stop which is all part of the same linked assembly. I actually had a couple of broken parts inside my latching cover when I first got my machine and I actually rebuild at least 2 of the parts.

For the animation, keep in mind there's a spring always pushing down on the green piece from above. Also there's another pin (not shown in the animation or the pic below that pushes up on the white/translucent piece in the animation. That's the one that pushes up and automatically unlatches the assembly (as opposed to manually turning the hand lever down) when the quil hits the stop nut if you've set that. That won't be so obvious from the animation but i'll add that later.
Animation:

downfeed replacement parts.jpg

Last edited:
Back