Newb quick change tool post/tooling suggestions

I was just responding to a similar post a few days ago. Here were my suggestions...

I just tooled up a slightly larger 12x36 lathe. After a few months of using it, here are my thoughts.

Used all the time:
-Swiss Type test indication (0.0005") and flexible mag base. This is a must have. You don't need to spend a fortune.
-1/2" keyless drill chuck and MT arbor to match tailstock. Don't buy bigger than 1/2" right now.
-Quick change tool post (CDCO tool makes a cheap but nice one)
-4 jaw chuck. Must have for any accurate work where you must pick up existing features or requires back work.
-Basic OD turning tools and a few boring bars (I use indexable carbide, but most will point you to HSS, you decide)
-Measuring tools, get some calipers, telescoping bore gages, micrometers as big as you expect to turn (0-3" to start maybe?), and the test indicator stated above. Your work is only as good as you can measure. You don't need super name brand stuff, but I would recommend buying new, or at least buying standards to check your used instruments.

Used only a little:
-Dead center
-Live center

Haven't used and probably might never need:
-Faceplate
-Headstock center
-turning dogs

I love Shars tool company (out of Illinois). They import all their stuff, but it seems to be better quality than most imports (plus they will replace anything which doesn't meet your quality standards). They're pretty inexpensive too.

IMO, there is a a difference in buying junk, midrange, and production quality stuff. Don't waste your money on the junk, but don't go crazy on the tooling cost, unless you intend to start production runs. The nicer, import stuff works great and will last many years.
a lot of great info in this! I am very happy i came across this site, no doubt that a good chunk of my earliest learning will be directly from conversations with you all...I'm excited and a bit nervous if I'm honest!

I bought the Phase II set. I have added some extra Shars BXA tool holders.
Very pleased with them. The BXA fits my 13" South Bend.

Oh boy JD! A good old country boy with a lot of machines and machining skills?? I wish you were my neighbor! I enjoy just watching the videos, and I don't care to critique your video skills, I just struggled to hear in parts, need a microphone close to your mouth so the machines don't drown you out...I wanna learn something! Also, there's 20 years olds making 500k A MONTH on their videos....you NEVER know! Maybe....unintended consequences???

Oh boy JD! A good old country boy with a lot of machines and machining skills?? I wish you were my neighbor! I enjoy just watching the videos, and I don't care to critique your video skills, I just struggled to hear in parts, need a microphone close to your mouth so the machines don't drown you out...I wanna learn something! Also, there's 20 years olds making 500k A MONTH on their videos....you NEVER know! Maybe....unintended consequences???

Yep 20 year olds making a fortune. They are lucky

I have been using a external mike lately to help with the sound issues. From what I understand and see from other creators wireless microphones can be problematic. Maybe soon on a retirement budget I can up grade. Sound and voice have been a priority of mine hopefully that is improving as I get better with my video equipment. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so I'm not so much ready to make a t nut yet but, putting my new cutting tools in my 4 way post, they are about an 1/8" low. I have no idea how they will sit in the new post, but that will be a lot easier to adjust. What is anyone using to get the correct height? I'm so psyched to get cutting but EVERYTHING is so involved and time consuming, after a week in, I'm just past break in and oil change. I'm keeping patience but MAN!

Ok, so I'm not so much ready to make a t nut yet but, putting my new cutting tools in my 4 way post, they are about an 1/8" low. I have no idea how they will sit in the new post, but that will be a lot easier to adjust. What is anyone using to get the correct height? I'm so psyched to get cutting but EVERYTHING is so involved and time consuming, after a week in, I'm just past break in and oil change. I'm keeping patience but MAN!

Use shims under the tool. One way is to purchase a cheap set of feeler gauges at HF or an auto parts store and remove the gauges from the holder.

Roy

depending on what lathe you have you may find the proper t post nut on ebay, I know ive seen someone manufacturing the southbend/atlas/logan tnuts on there. I know you have grizzly but may be worth a shot as this is a very common mod

Actually my first project is that T-nut. I have the width & thickness where they should be, just don’t (easily) have a way to cut the 2 steps yet. I know I can cut the step round (Dutchman?) but that just seems to be a place chips will collect. Maybe I’ll give up and just cut the rest on the lathe, maybe I’ll hit up someone in the “do me a favor” forum!

Actually my first project is that T-nut. I have the width & thickness where they should be, just don’t (easily) have a way to cut the 2 steps yet. I know I can cut the step round (Dutchman?) but that just seems to be a place chips will collect. Maybe I’ll give up and just cut the rest on the lathe, maybe I’ll hit up someone in the “do me a favor” forum!

Are you using rectangular stock? From your description it reads that way. You can just align the rectangular true in a 4 jaw and turn the round step.

My advice would be to just find a piece of bar stock and make a complete round T nut since you don’t have a good way to modify the universal T nut at the present.

If I wasn’t on vacation and not near my shop until a few days I’d offer to just milk one out. But it would be next week before I could start on one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why if you have a lathe, you need a mill. If you have a mill, you need a lathe.

Back