Newb quick change tool post/tooling suggestions

Seriously, I ORDERED the G0602 and it was going to be a few weeks. After about 2 I decided to just upgrade to the 602Z (with DRO) the next day the base 602 went up to the DRO price due to the tariff. Sucks because i still have to purchase a mill.

Ok, got half that step cut into it.....would have NEVER guessed this is a "safe" working distance. I'll let you know how it turns out. One thing I'm seeing, the collar around hole doesn't appear to be a tight 90 off the boss. I'm using the 90* tool, but I have the tool compound at about 60 degrees. The tool post has four locking points (not arbitrary like a QCTP) For me to get it at a 90 from surfsce, if need to turn the compound flat and then top hand wheel hits lower compound hand wheel. So much to learn...

Man Ron! I tried mocking that setup with 1-2-3 blocks and it is a mess! Like 3mm hanging on to that t-nut for dear life! With the tool post and dead center in there, it's like 6 kids putting their hands into the candy bar to fight over the last piece of candy....DEAR LORD!

Yeah, it's a little "tight" in there and takes a bit of "creative finagling". Even though your tool post has only four locking points is it possible for you to use the the compound to change your angle a bit?

It looks a bit iffy but the piece isn't going anywhere, thanks to the live center in the tailstock and you're using two jaws to hold the 1-2-3 block and the other two to box in the future t-nut. All in all, it's pretty solid.

Oh, and take some pictures! Pics are like crack to the forum guys. ;)

-Ron

It's done....I think pics of this sort of project are probably over done, but I'll put one up. HUGE QUESTION: Do I remove the stock detent pin? That seems like a no brainer, no?

Short video to show fit....I don't know how snug it HAS to be, but stock had two lock down grub screws, so I figured as little slop as possible?

2018-07-26_19-49-15_513.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-07-26_19-49-53_000_ID_I5usPniZS4Gck65C2nfGPw==.mp4
    547.1 KB · Views: 4
I do not want to hijack GON's thread but can someone explain to me why one wouldn't just re-drill and tap the existing t nut to fit the QCTP stud instead of milling a new one? I understand the normal QCTP stud to be 14mm x 1.5 which is larger than the original stud. I'm obviously missing something here and trying to learn. Thanks in advance.

There are a huge variety of sizes of compounds and the attendant sizes of t-nuts. If what you got with the QCTP fits, sure, drill and retap. You might get lucky. I never did.

I don't believe the grub screws are necessary but they certainly wouldn't hurt either.

You could always proceed without and if it is a problem add the grub screws. Your call.

Nice job btw. I am personally fond of this project as it shows how the lathe can be much more versatile than just "making round stuff".

-Ron

There are a huge variety of sizes of compounds and the attendant sizes of t-nuts. If what you got with the QCTP fits, sure, drill and retap. You might get lucky. I never did.
I think he means retap the machine's stock t-nut so the aftermarket post would fit in it. I'm hindsight, that's probably best/easiest. I just need to have the stock setup for some OCD reason.

Back