Newb with a rough Atlas 618

I just came across this on ebay.
Tell me your thoughts. Sure as heck more affordable than the stock milling attachments are.

The factory Atlas milling attachment is better, but that is not saying a lot. Milling attachments are better than not having any mill, but very limited. Still for less than $100 you can't really go wrong.

I have a similar milling attachment for my Taig lathe. I haven't used it much since I have a proper small mill. I got it because my plans for the Taig is to make a very portable "travel lathe" to entertain myself on trips, so thought it would be nice to have some milling capacity.

You would be better off with even a mini-mill. I don't understand the prices for the Atlas milling attachments unless just the collector aspect. For the prices I see people asking I'd think you could easily find a used mini-mill, and even something like the little Harbor Freight mill, would be more capable.

The factory Atlas milling attachment is better, but that is not saying a lot. Milling attachments are better than not having any mill, but very limited. Still for less than $100 you can't really go wrong.

I have a similar milling attachment for my Taig lathe. I haven't used it much since I have a proper small mill. I got it because my plans for the Taig is to make a very portable "travel lathe" to entertain myself on trips, so thought it would be nice to have some milling capacity.

You would be better off with even a mini-mill. I don't understand the prices for the Atlas milling attachments unless just the collector aspect. For the prices I see people asking I'd think you could easily find a used mini-mill, and even something like the little Harbor Freight mill, would be more capable.
That seems the predominant opinion; better to put the money toward a dedicated mill. The limited capabilities of the milling attachments, chiefly being the tiny work envelope, are such that a $300 original Atlas is certainly not justifiable (beyond the collectible/cool factor). The only one I see on ebay has a $500 asking price! But I saw these, presumably Chinese, milling accessories at around $70 and figured it may be worth it just for the experience. Immediately after I became aware of them, a YouTuber, Uri Tuchman, released a video in which I noticed he was using one. Really enjoy his videos, he's a character.

I'm sure it'll help me justify it to myself, but my wife is less easily influenced by such clear logic. Pffft. Women.
Set a budget you both can agree on. Keep cash on hand for when deals present themselves. Make nice things for her in the shop.

Eventually she will realize she knows exactly where you are when you're engaged in this hobby; and that's a good thing....

John

She's pretty indulgent of my tinkering, probably let's me spend too much sometimes, in all honesty.

I couldn't help myself. I started on disassembling the lathe. The garage is still a mess but I went ahead and did it anyway. 20230805_224226.jpg

OK I just taught myself how NOT to remove the back gear assembly. I failed to understand something about both parts M6-252 and M6-251, the left and right "eccentrics" as called out in the Atlas instructions and parts from March 1960, File 618-2.

Both eccentrics are fastened to the shaft by pins. I broke the pin out of the left side eccentric. That's how I disassembled the back gear assembly. I don't think the eccentric is damaged too badly to be used again, I'll certainly need another zamak pin.

I guess it could have been worse.

But, having taken a better look at the back gears themselves, I see the smaller gear is significantly damaged. I'm certain it needs replaced.

Hey! I didn't know this can had worms in it!20230806_005541.jpg20230806_005601.jpgScreenshot_20230806_010212_Samsung Notes.jpg20230806_011156.jpg20230806_011055.jpg20230806_011757.jpg

Back