Newb with a rough Atlas 618

Take the top compound off and make yourself a solid plinth:

View attachment 458669

It's just a piece of round stock turned to size, a recess in the bottom for the cross slide dovetail and a threaded hole in the top for the QCTP bolt. Couple threaded holes for the cinch pins and you're good to go.

Then get a QCTP and getting your tooling "on center" is a doodle. My 10" uses an AXA QCTP, bu tI think a 618 needs a slightly smaller 0XA QCTP. A bit more uncommon, but should also cost a bit less.

With that done, you'll have a more usable lathe (or at least easier to use) and you can take your time to source a new/used top compound slide at a price you can live with.

Sadly, you're unlikely to find one much less than 150 bucks, but you never know if you're patient enough about it.

That is a very common mod seen on the import 9x20 lathes to enhance their rigidity. It makes sense for your Atlas or the 6" siblings, particularly if the original compound is damaged or missing.

It is also the default for Taig and Sherline whose standard tool post is of a similar concept being fastened directly to the cross slide. A compound is offered for them as an accessory to be used only when actually needed.

When I bought that lathe, it cost me approx. .175 of your average used, quality USA lathe of that size. So, I set that price (1) as a benchmark for buying new parts and basic tooling. Keeping that in mind, I was able to price out parts and tooling and keep it well within budget.

Now, I am doing the same with my South Bend 9B.

Back