Newbie Question: G 704/759 Mill Base-to-table Dimension

Yeah, you probably want something to prevent the table from getting more and more soaked in coolant over time.

I was going to mention putting something on the table under the mill, but Dave beat me to it. My lathe sits on a sheet of 18 ga. galvanized sheet metal.
My minimill sits in shallow stainless steel baking pan. I never planned to use much in the way of lubricants with either one of them, since I mostly deal
with aluminum and brass, but I now see that protecting the wood was very much needed. Just oiling the lathe and cutting an unforeseen bunch of steel
proved this to be a necessity. The edge on the pan under the mill really helps to contain swarf. I just drilled holes for mounting the machines through the
metal before bolting them down.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the input! Good catch. I'm hanging onto the pan from the Griz base :) For the first couple of months we'll be machining renshape pretty much exclusively. We've got about 12 master designs we need to crank out for a show in August. We may do a bit of brass/alum sheet...very very thin stuff. So I hadn't put much thought into possibly using the Griz pan short-term.

I was thinking to wait until we CNC it (maybe in a year or two) to do a more full blown pan. Now, I'll go ahead and put the Griz pan in, in later this week before we tram it...the memory of lifting that thing, even a couple of inches, needs to fade just a little bit ;-) That way, just in case we do something where cutting lub is needed we'll have something in place. I'm also going to bend a piece of styrene over the front edge to avoid splinters :) .

Powered it up briefly yesterday, it and the DRO are alive. Will clean it up and burn it in over the next couple of days. Tramming accessories should all get here by the end of this week. So by next weekend should be up and running. In the meantime I've got the manuals for bedtime entertainment.

Speaking of lathes:

That's the next project. Don't laugh, but looking at the Sherline 4400. Keep in mind, we're doing miniatures and need something for drilling and tapering brass stock, gun barrels, antenna, etc. Need something that'll work out of the box day one and capable of producing a nice surface finish. Space is also an issue...you don't see the rest of my two car garage, but its taken up with 30" table saw, 8" jointer, bandsaw, drill press, large delta sanding station, mortiser, spindle sander...and the requisite garage sundries :) I've looked a long time at lathes and from what I've seen in our price range and objectives the 4400 appears to be a good choice.

Having said that...I'm very open to hearing input!

I'm planning to pull the trigger end of next week, so if there's a better value (roughly same size/price and precision) I'm all ears...

Jesse/Jon-Luc

I have never used a Sherline, but I would never laugh at getting one. Craftsmanship isn't measured by the amount of material that can be cut in a pass.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

As my youngest sometimes says about himself "my OCD set in", well maybe he gets it from me :)

Went ahead and rigged her up for a lift and put the tray underneath. All bolted down and ready to tram once the gear arrives.

IMG_0141-D.JPG IMG_0142-D.JPG IMG_0146-D.JPG

Something showed up in a bobtail today to offload into the back of the F150..turns out its a bit bigger than a Sherline <wicked grin>

Looks like I'll need to build another stand similar to the one for the mill...

IMG_0183-A.JPG IMG_0179-A.JPG IMG_0182-A.JPG

That'll be a real nice setup for you. I like the DROs, too. I'm eager to see you put it to use.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Back