Nice spray mist system for the mill / lathe

While I did not make any part of these things. I started with a Cool-Mist system (Siphon) and changed out to a Fog Buster (pressure coolant delivery). It was one of the best choices I have made in the shop. The Siphon system was temperamental and I was always having to fiddle with it to get the siphon started and maintain the right amount of fluid in the final output. The Fog-Buster system has none of these problems. I have a little pneumatic switch and when I turn it on, it works. Every time and right away.

While I did not make any part of these things. I started with a Cool-Mist system (Siphon) and changed out to a Fog Buster (pressure coolant delivery). It was one of the best choices I have made in the shop. The Siphon system was temperamental and I was always having to fiddle with it to get the siphon started and maintain the right amount of fluid in the final output. The Fog-Buster system has none of these problems. I have a little pneumatic switch and when I turn it on, it works. Every time and right away.
I did the same thing. I used the Cool-Mist body, and replaced the hose (the spray end) with a Fog-Buster style brass tube, and modified a water filter for the coolant similar to how the Fog-Buster is done. Works great, with very little coolant.

Hi everyone,

I thought I would make my first post about a recent success I had with a makeshift spray mist system that I cobbled together.
~~~~~~~~~
Needless to say I was very pleased with the result. Not long after I went ahead and loaded up a 3/8" end mill, popped a hunk of aluminum in the vice and fired up the spindle for a test. I took a 0.150" width of cut with a 0.300" depth of cut at 3000rpm and 24ipm. The performance of the cut showed no issues with overheating and I was free to use the full power of the mill without concern of aluminum getting soft and clogging the end mill.

Thanks for sharing Jake . Great first post !

Installed the Harbor Freight pressure regulator in the air line today. Swapped the 0-169psi gauge for a 0-60psi with a 70psi air supply. For me, 40psi seems to give me a good range of balance for chip clearing and cooling/lubricating.

Ken

Installations attached. The positioning of the regulator and solenoid valve was to make use of existing mounting screws on the mill. I have another, longer mounting rod for the mister block, if I need to run with the quill more fully extended. "Jarom", the one eyed sucker, serves well for both chip and over mist evacuation.

Ken

Mister1.jpg

Mister2.jpgMister3.jpgMister4.jpgMister5.jpg

KMoffett where did you get the electric shutoff valve

Jake,

Yes, Jarom does have those flippity floppity eye balls. Though he does concentrate when he's working. :) The name came from a student...and it stuck. The tennis ball on the quill encoder guard also has the eyes. Too many pokes on the head.

KVT,

The valve came from mt junk box. That exact Skinner valve is obsolete. But it was a standard, 150 PSI, 3-way, 24VDC, 1/8th NPT ports and which should have an equivalent from many manufactures.. The 3-way valve dumps the mister side to ambient when shut off. This immediately stops the spray, so it doesn't just slowly decrease the spray.

Ken

Thank I will have to look for one.

Back