No-Spill Container Adapter for Cutting Oil

Mike Tracz

Registered
Registered
Hello HM,

I just finished prototyping and printing an adapter to turn most any plastic container into a no-spill container for cutting oil. If you are interested you can download the files at Thingiverse.

Thingiverse - No Spill Cutting Oil Can / Adapter

I used an 8oz food container from the Container Store but it should work with most any container from your recycle bin (butter tub, Tupperware, pint of ice cream tub). It extends from 2" to 3.5".

My initial tests show that WD40 isn't melting the PLA used for the print.

If you don't have access to a 3D printer you may have one near by at a public library, college, or maker space. I'm pretty excited about it and thought to share.

Thank you for stopping by,
_Mike

CuttingOilCan (3).jpg
CuttingOilCan (2).jpg
CuttingOilCan (5).jpg
CuttingOilCan (4).jpg

Put them into a bunch a random containers and make sure it works in them then take pics of them all and put it up for sale on Ebay.
Yes, others could make it, but not everyone has a 3D printer. I'd buy one or two.

Chris

Thanks guys!

Chris, I plan on trying it on a few different containers and will share photos. I’m not sure what I would sell them for if I did put them on eBay. Thank you for the encouragement to give it a try!

_Mike

Last edited:
Neat idea but I posted about modifications to children’s paint cups. Since I don’t have a printer this worked for me
63c482023a6684488f363da486041711.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm good idea, I'd buy a couple.

Also, kids paint container, that's also a good idea

jdedmon91, the children’s paint cups are fantastic. Repost your thread or add it to this one so others can do the same. I’ve seen mention of the paint cups but not your modification. Well done!!!

I’ll look into the the cost of material next week. I’ll search for containers around the house this weekend to document. It looks like a group build is up to 4 units!

_Mike

jdedmon91, the children’s paint cups are fantastic. Repost your thread or add it to this one so others can do the same. I’ve seen mention of the paint cups but not your modification. Well done!!!

I’ll look into the the cost of material next week. I’ll search for containers around the house this weekend to document. It looks like a group build is up to 4 units!

_Mike

It was simple. I used 1/2 CPVC pipe. Then a machined a bushing to match the hole in the paint cup and the pipe. I used super glue to attach the pipe and bushing to the cup.

Hopefully that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the black meterial you printed the no spill piece from? Looks like abs.
This doesn't look like it would be difficult to make on the lathe even.
I like the telescoping spout.
If you decide to print and sell, and have sorted out a price, put me down for 2. Even tho they could be easily made, it seems these days I haven't time to pick my nose much less make items for the garage that make my life easier. Lol the bench is already full of projects waiting for completion, as well as everyone else's kitchen/basement/bathroom/office lobby/etc, etc, etc... If there were more hours in the day, I'd probably just fill them with more work.

Back