No-Spill Container Adapter for Cutting Oil

Pretty neat how so many ways to not spill oil , yet we still need to use it. We could find away someday to machine with the lubricity built into the material. Like old leadloy, or a printer that melts steel to squirt out precision finishes . Aren't we smarter then the metal we create . Come on we fight the steel there must be away to work it without the oil. I've broken tons of tooling over the years even well lubed cutting on soft steels. It just seems to me there has to be away.
NO not knocking the printed spill proof adapter I enjoy the creativity being found to use these alien machines . Send me a couple too....

20180401_122547.jpg

This is how I mitigated the problem, made from the packing crate the lathe came in. I think I have made more things with the packing crate than the lathe. Plus when I run the mill it hangs on the conduit by the mill.

Llamatrails! Thank you for posting your print!

I appreciate your feedback and think I’ll go back into the file and put the same notches on the main funnel tube that are in the extension to avoid fluid coming back out.

Actually would it make more sense to not have the extension at all and have the tube much shorter? Either way, keep the comments coming. It’s easy enough to modify the cad and update the ‘thing’. Let’s make it better.

I’ll let you guys know what it would cost to print and share.

I agree it’s easy enough to make on a lathe. But I have too many ‘I could make that’ projects too. If you decide to make one share the photos and drawings. I’d be happy to share dimensioed drawings of this one if they would be of interest or motivation.

Thank you for the interest in this experiment.

Best,
_Mike

I thought it was a neat 3D printer project. I haven’t gotten into that yet so I showed my alternate. But i know how much head scratching it took to modify the paint cups. Hats off to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodchucker - Thank you for the clarification and now it makes perfect sense when it flips over. I still plan on updating the tube on the main funnel. Unfortunately the computer I am at today isn't powerful enough for Fusion360. I'll make time tonight at home. Good luck to your son. If he has any issues I'm happy to help where I can.

Silverbullet - I love the way you think! I work at a consultancy that plays in the innovation space. We are always asking the simple big questions that are most times uncomfortable because they are disruptive. Let's figure out a way to eliminate the need for lubrication. Stopping spills isn't the problem, tool wear, heat, and poor surface finish is the problem. Oil and coolant are our only solutions for the moment. What's next? New materials? Refrigerated shops? Self sharpening tools? Products that embrace chatter? You really got me thinking. Thank you!

BtoVin83 - That's a fantastic solution as well. I love upcycling material that would otherwise be discarded. The other side of the blade, in my case, is avoiding becoming a hoarder. My scrap bin should be looked at soon... ha. Thank you for sharing your solution.

jdedmon91 - Hat's off to you as well. Proves we don't need much to get anything done. Just some head scratching and a look around the shop. Maybe a peek into kids or grand kids craft kit! Really it's about getting quality time in the shop.

And to those I didn't respond to, thank you for contributing. It is super inspiring to chat with you guys (gals?) and that a community like this exists. I now have to dig back through sketchbooks for what's next. I'm having fun.

If anyone has ideas that require a 3D print, pass it along. I can create the CAD, print, post and share. and give credit where it's due. Just sayin.

_Mike

A while ago I bookmarked this page, which is a similar effort. Not mine but it may be of interest. I have yet to print one of these but do plan to.

Woodchucker - Thank you for the clarification and now it makes perfect sense when it flips over. I still plan on updating the tube on the main funnel. Unfortunately the computer I am at today isn't powerful enough for Fusion360. I'll make time tonight at home. Good luck to your son. If he has any issues I'm happy to help where I can.

Silverbullet - I love the way you think! I work at a consultancy that plays in the innovation space. We are always asking the simple big questions that are most times uncomfortable because they are disruptive. Let's figure out a way to eliminate the need for lubrication. Stopping spills isn't the problem, tool wear, heat, and poor surface finish is the problem. Oil and coolant are our only solutions for the moment. What's next? New materials? Refrigerated shops? Self sharpening tools? Products that embrace chatter? You really got me thinking. Thank you!

BtoVin83 - That's a fantastic solution as well. I love upcycling material that would otherwise be discarded. The other side of the blade, in my case, is avoiding becoming a hoarder. My scrap bin should be looked at soon... ha. Thank you for sharing your solution.

jdedmon91 - Hat's off to you as well. Proves we don't need much to get anything done. Just some head scratching and a look around the shop. Maybe a peek into kids or grand kids craft kit! Really it's about getting quality time in the shop.

And to those I didn't respond to, thank you for contributing. It is super inspiring to chat with you guys (gals?) and that a community like this exists. I now have to dig back through sketchbooks for what's next. I'm having fun.

If anyone has ideas that require a 3D print, pass it along. I can create the CAD, print, post and share. and give credit where it's due. Just sayin.

_Mike

Thanks for the encouragement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I updated the files and post on Thingiverse to include notches on on the main funnel.

For those interested in prints, I'm not quite sure how to take payment or what to charge. They take about 2.5 hours to print and 30 minutes or so to setup, remove, cleanup and prepare for shipping. I could set up an ebay listing and let them and paypal take their cut.

I'm going to speak to the owner of the machine what he would like to do.

Thanks again for your interest!

_Mike

Mike, here is my setup, with your insert. I thought it was a good idea to use this shape, but didn't count on needing to glue or tape the flip-top lid. For some reason I was thinking a flip-top would be a good addition, until I test-dropped it on the floor and the lid popped open. Otherwise, short and fat works great, and this container has a shrink wrap label, not a stick-on, so much easier to remove for easy oil-level viewing.

2018-04-08 16.45.5533.jpg

2018-04-08 17.09.4333.jpg

2018-04-08 17.11.4233.jpg

2018-04-08 17.15.3233.jpg

Chris

Back