Not Looking Good For Fry's Electronics

Went to Fry's in Phoenix, looked about the same. I finally found an employee in the near empty store and asked him if Frys was going out of business? He said no, not at all... they were restructuring all of their supplier contracts and shelves should be restocked by the end of Oct. Sounded like a bunch of BS to me. I've never heard of stores having empty shelves due to supplier changes. Maybe the China import trade issues have brought about some unexpected major changes, but guess we'll see whats really happening at Frys soon. At best I see them becoming an online oriented retailer. But, an online article states....
We are in the process of re-ordering product and restocking shelves. More product in all stores in next few weeks. Fry’s is not liquidating. And products ordered online are now shipped to customers directly from their local stores.
Fry’s is not going out of business or closing any stores (except Palo Alto, California in January 2020, due to lease expired). No plans to close any other stores.

Sorry, not to make light of the situation, but what is up with those marshmallow/mushroom/ice cream display tables? Not quite sure which theme they were going for there.

Haha. Some Fry's stores are themed. The one I go to is themed like Alice in Wonderland. The next closest on to me is themed like an alien invasion attack.

Went to Fry's in Phoenix, looked about the same. I finally found an employee in the near empty store and asked him if Frys was going out of business? He said no, not at all... they were restructuring all of their supplier contracts and shelves should be restocked by the end of Oct. Sounded like a bunch of BS to me. I've never heard of stores having empty shelves due to supplier changes. Maybe the China import trade issues have brought about some unexpected major changes, but guess we'll see whats really happening at Frys soon. At best I see them becoming an online oriented retailer. But, an online article states....

My buddy told me the same thing last night. He said he asked & they told him the same thing. He also thinks it's BS, like a story to tell emoloyees so they don't quit or something.

I shopped at Fry's Electronics when they first opened in Sunnyvale; two brothers who's dad owned a grocery store chain started it, my old boss knew their dad. I stopped at the Concord, CA store a few weeks back and it was about the same although they did have the one thing (cheap access point) that I wanted.

They did try to compete online, and even offered same day delivery for a while I believe. But, having a huge store with staff and inventory you have to buy yourself just won't cut it in today's climate. Does Amazon even have inventory other than their branded "basics" stuff they use to kill off sellers that are too profitable?

I also shopped at a Whole Foods on that trip and I felt kinda dirty for buying groceries from Amazon. Too bad I'm not working their developer conference again this year, that was good money....

John

Speaking of Amazon. I'm lucky to have survived the Saddleridge fire that blazed through my community last night. We are still mandatory evacuation until tomorrow. I stayed, it was crazy night, I was up all night. Yet Amazon still somehow managed to deliver my package that was scheduled today when I myself almost didn't make it back to my home when I went to grab something to eat.

20191011_175620.jpg

IMG_20191011_065607_008.jpg20191011_045530.jpg20191011_033032.jpg20191011_044622.jpg20191011_044836.jpg

Wow, that’s too close for comfort there. Glad your ok

Man Will that is too close for comfort. That is an awful situation out there ever summer. Stay safe!!!

Back