Now They've Done it

OK; DRO was purchased with the Mill as well as a Vise. Collets should be here this week. And I have a Jacobs chuck to use but will invest in a key less drill chuck in the near future. Now I'm concentrating on what end mills and various cutters.

Here's a thread here with some good advice.

OK; an update on my PM25 (still setting in the shipping crate). I completed the stand fashioned from scrap 2x3x1/4 angle and a 24 x 18 x 1/4 top. Weights close to 75# and painted with Rustoleum Oasis Blue (final coat). If the neighbor can help this weekend, I plan on having the Mill atop the stand, leveled and Tram'd.
Mill Stand.jpgMill Stand2.jpg

I’d personally go with the dovetail column Asian mill preferably. The round mills certainly have good abilities but most owners complain about the round columns. I think that’s the RF35 copies.

The PM25 IS A DOVETAIL MILL. I was at one point looking at the round column mills, but the additional govt funds help me make my decision.

Okay...I really don’t keep up with various newer model number. But...you’re going to be much happier with a mill weighing at least 600-700 lbs which is also dovetail styled.
The smaller 300 lb dovetail mill is still a nice machine and can do precision work...but with machine tools.....mass is your friend. A 2000 # machine almost always outperforms a 200 # machine. Both can do precision work....but the 2000 pounder does it much, much faster while not sacrificing precision.

It will be a lot easier to add a DRO to the PM30 later, than to make the PM25 bigger. ;)

This. ^^

Save your coins and get the DRO when you are able to swing it. Plus installing one is always a good project. Lots of good videos on dropros.

Back