Oil for the 618

With any luck the bearing play will decrease and my lathe will become more accurate..... lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But given that an Atlas Lathe is not an internal combustion engine drawing in a ridiculous amount of air and moisture does it make a noteworthy difference wether the additives bind to moisture? I’m guessing that if my lathe had the same milage and air moving through it daily as my Explorer your point might make a difference.... but in 4 years of running with non detergent motor oil, dressed up as 20 weight I have seen no appreciable wear. What you are quoting though reminds me if the ridiculous amount of research I did to arrive at the reality that in fact “it really doesn’t matter”.

Just my opinion of course.....

I'm sorry, but you completely misunderstood what I wrote. If your lathe came up to an internal temperature of 170 to 200 F and had as much air moving through it as your Explorer, you would want to use maybe 20W50 high detergent oil. But it doesn't. It is pretty much like your explorer when it is sitting in the garage (if you garage hasn't like mine been converted to part electronics and part machine shop). Not when it is running down the highway. And tomorrow, it won't go running down the highway, blowing the moisture out the exhaust. It'll be sitting wherever it sits absorbing more moisture out of the atmosphere. Most likely, the detergents don't hurt anything, but there is really nothing that they can do as there is no carbon for them to scrub. So they are simply a waste of money.

Also, there seems to be some misunderstanding of terms here. SAE 20 and 20 Weight Motor Oil are one and the same. Back in the day, you could buy 20 weight at automotive parts stores. You can still buy SAE 10 and SAE 30 non-detergent but for some reason, at least in the Houston area, none of the parts stores carry the SAE 20 anymore. Ace Hardware I think still carries 3-In-1 SAE 20 as well as the more common SAE 10, but it is pretty expensive in the small cans that it comes in.

I found some Mobil something or other ISO68 by the gallon for $32, says they have it at Walmart and it's detergent free and the same as SAE 20. I wanna make sure that it's detergent free though. Doubt I'd need a gallon, a quart would be fine for $11

20W is still available up here in Canada, but it is getting more scarce. I purchased 10, 1 quart (liter) bottles so I have what I believe to be a reasonable attempt at a lifetime supply. Thanks for the clarification on your point. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I'm looking into the world of way oil and getting a bit confused. Saw that Mobil had a good one but changed it and then came out with one similar to the original named something else. See where this rabbit hole leads me.

I’m home on Sunday. I’ll shoot you a pic of the stuff I have. I’m not sure where you are located but the company I used is Crescent Oil in Hamilton Ontario Canada. 136 Cannon St. West. 905 527 2432 or 1 800 263 6483. Give them a call and see if they can give you the name/brand of the horizontal and vertical way oil respectively. We’re all in this together. Cheers.

Gotcha, worst case I'm sure they ship to the US. I found some options on google in a quick search but it was all 5 gallons or a few ounces. Also a lot of stuff on horizontal drilling came up, like drilling for oil in the earth.

Worst case I’ll go get the stuff for you and ship it to you.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back