Ok, lets face it... getting old sucks!

682bear

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
For years, I have always hand sharpened drill bits... everytime I read something about these 'Drill Doctors' I think to myself "I guess thats pretty neat, but I just don't have any use for one because I can sharpen drills by hand".

Well... a couple of weeks ago, I was drilling some brackets on my mill and managed to dull my drill, so I cranked up the bench grinder and went to trying to sharpen it.

After a few minutes, I was forced to admit to myself that my eyes just don't work like they used to. I managed to get it sharpened well enough to finish my brackets, but not as well as I would have liked.

So, last week a new Drill Doctor 750X showed up at the house...

This is a very neat piece of equipment! I had never used one before, but it turned out to be very easy to use.

Yes, getting old sucks, but I suppose its better than the alternative...

-Bear

Yes, getting old definitely sucks! Since retiring 15-years I have greatly enjoyed myself with old cars and motorcycles. About 10 or 12-years ago I was diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Up until last September, I found I could work around the problem and work in my workshop/garage in the mornings and write reports on the work I was doing, on a couple of forums, to help others, and to keep me amused. In the last couple of years, I got increasingly more into machining and have had a pleasant time learning about machining on my lathes and mill on this forum.

At the end of last September I was taken into hospital after waking up at 2am in the morning not able to breath and the sweat pouring off me. Since then I have had two more short hospital stays. After attempting to venture out to the workshop on numerous occasions, in an attempt to do some ‘proper’ work, since my last visit to hospital, and speaking with my medical practitioners, it looks as if I am ‘flogging a dead horse’. My breathing is just not up to doing any actual work anymore. The COPD is not going to get any better, I now have had to come to the realisation, that my messing about with cars, motorcycles and machines is over. I will have to try and find something else to keep me amused and the old brain active.

To date, I am just managing to keep myself amused with reading others posts, but I feel I need to get my teeth into something more productive. Anybody got any sensible suggestions? I am sure there are many others who may have had, or have, the same quandary.

A few things for me is as a fleet mechanic going from a shop that had mostly medium duty trucks to one with only a few with mostly F250-550 size I'm not working with heavy components as once was , also 7 years older isn't helping but I sure feel weak when trying to lift move compared how I once was . I'm going to have to get better glasses for close-up work , I wear bifocals and anymore if I'm so grinding a drill bit I find myself looking UNDER THE GLASSES !! Not very safe . Mike Mac not sure what you meant of " more productive " teaching or mentoring kids be something that would interest you ?

Read my avatar: "I will never regret getting old, because I know too many people who never had that privilege".

Just saying... ;)
Ted

I totally agree. Every morning I wake up I think to myself "One more day to be enjoyed". My father died at 54 of a heart attack and one brother passed away at 60. So far I've managed to stay vertical 17 years longer than my father, and 11 years longer than my brother. Parts are getting old, joints are wearing out, and the heart isn't what it used to be. I don't move as fast, and can't carry as much weight, but I still wake up to enjoy the sun.

Not that many years ago projects were larger and often more complex. I built an end loader from scratch that weighed in at a little over 4,400 lbs., remodeled the family cottage, and did endless yard work for the relatives. Those days are gone, but not forgotten. I still love to build things even though they're smaller and it takes longer to get them done. I currently have at least half a dozen projects in various stages of design and completion. I work on them as time and energy allows. Sometimes I work 12 hours a day. Other times they sit for days and even weeks because I either don't have the interest or energy to pursue them.

The shop, projects in progress, and potential new projects help me keep a positive outlook. I find myself continually thinking of ways to solve problems and build new things. I may not be able to move as fast, or work as hard as I did in my youth, but I still enjoy time in the shop regardless of when the projects are completed.

I understand, I have a form of macular degeneration in one eye. I find I need more light and my optivisor has become my new friend.

I've known that getting old sucks and ain't for sissies for about 10 years now. It took me 65 years to learn that on my own, but I've always been a little slow on the uptake.

Tom

I totally agree. Every morning I wake up I think to myself "One more day to be enjoyed". My father died at 54 of a heart attack and one brother passed away at 60. So far I've managed to stay vertical 17 years longer than my father, and 11 years longer than my brother. Parts are getting old, joints are wearing out, and the heart isn't what it used to be. I don't move as fast, and can't carry as much weight, but I still wake up to enjoy the sun.

Not that many years ago projects were larger and often more complex. I built an end loader from scratch that weighed in at a little over 4,400 lbs., remodeled the family cottage, and did endless yard work for the relatives. Those days are gone, but not forgotten. I still love to build things even though they're smaller and it takes longer to get them done. I currently have at least half a dozen projects in various stages of design and completion. I work on them as time and energy allows. Sometimes I work 12 hours a day. Other times they sit for days and even weeks because I either don't have the interest or energy to pursue them.

The shop, projects in progress, and potential new projects help me keep a positive outlook. I find myself continually thinking of ways to solve problems and build new things. I may not be able to move as fast, or work as hard as I did in my youth, but I still enjoy time in the shop regardless of when the projects are completed.
How true, I like when all these young people say they where retired and I tell them that in most cases that goes along with being much older and slower, I always thought of retirement as being retired and being just I was at 45 BUT that is not the case. I am just as busy if not more but some of that is that I can't work as hard or fast as I use to. I am having fun and love my little machine shop and have gotten some larger equipment to same me and my back. ALL IS GOOD.

... About 10 or 12-years ago I was diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). ...

To date, I am just managing to keep myself amused with reading others posts, but I feel I need to get my teeth into something more productive. Anybody got any sensible suggestions? I am sure there are many others who may have had, or have, the same quandary.
What about something like wood carving or metal engraving? Something where you can work seated at a bench. (I presume you're dragging around supplemental oxygen?) Clock or watch repair?

Craig

Back