Ok, lets face it... getting old sucks!

Mike, not sure if it's possible for you, but check with your doctor to see if there is something you can do to help your exercise tolerance. You may be able to build back up some reserve, like just walking to the curb, and back. I am heading down your road too, but not "bad" yet. In the 70s the fire service was still known as"smoke eaters", before I started working on the ambulance side. I'm sure you may have researched it, but here is a link.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/understanding-exercise-tolerance-914887

Getting old for me was like getting kicked by a horse. Ten years ago, I was seeing the doc at the VA. Whatever he did, it didn't seem to work. Then one day I woke up in the hospital out of a three day coma. Turned out my glucose index was over 1100, should had been be 100 and though a careful regiment is now. Every day now I must give myself four shots of insulin. At the time, it may have been stupid, but I bought myself a lathe and later a mill. Not much later I found out about this site. Making things has given me purpose and much pleasure.. A couple of problems. I wear bifocals. So before turning on a machine, I make sure I know exactly what I am going to do, how, and where my hands are. The other is if I'm not feeling right, check my blood sugar. If it is not right, take care of it, and do something else for a while. Sorry that I ramble on. It is just that getting old means that one definitely needs to develop patience and persistence. Other then that, it doesn't seem much of a big deal.

Yes, getting old sucks, but I suppose its better than the alternative...

-Bear
[/QUOTE]
Tell me about it, I'm 77+. I set up a small machining area to stay active. Sometimes it over loads my brain. My Vision was failing due to cataracts. Had the surgery where they replace your lenses with plastic. I opted for the more expensive ones that allow your natural eye muscles to adjust the lens focal length. I've now had them for 1 1/2 yr. They work really well. No glasses needed. I can now read the verniers. The first optical place I went to told me I was not suited to the self adjust type because I was diabetic and had scars on my eyes. I went to a different place and they said no problem.

Being diabetic for over a 1/4 of a century has taken it's toll. I've been scraped off the floor several times. It is a constant challenge to maintain.

A long time ago I had bought a drill doctor for my employees. Works OK. I normally sharpened by eye, until I couldn't see. I now have a tool and cutter grinder that I use for all sorts of sharpening, including drills, of any size or type.

This thread just hit home with me. So many of your experiences are so familiar to me. I am retired (12 years now) from a very enjoyable career in rotating equipment. Since retiring, I took up the hobby of collecting and repairing my own antique mechanical clocks. Good news is that my understanding of machinery is right at home with these little machines. They can be worked on in the house and the little machine work required is done in my tiny garage shop. The bad news is that my declining eyesight poses a problem. I have all sorts of magnification to address the problem, but one of these days I will have to submit myself to the surgeon for cataract surgery.

Ted, I acquired a copy of fusion 360 about a year ago, but just don't know where to start, I came to computers rather late in life and I Just don't have any confidence with them.

Bob

I always suggest that people just beginning to learn Fusion go to YouTube and search for "Fusion 360 beginner tutorial" and you will find many, many ones to watch. Watch a few of them and go through their examples. I would suggest starting with learning how to sketch, because it all starts with sketches. Watch the video all the way through and then go back through it a second time and re-create what is being taught, step by step, on your PC using Fusion. Pause the video and jump back and forth as needed, replaying the video as many times as necessary. Hey, there's no hurry! ;)

Once you get some of the basic concepts down you will surprise yourself on how fast you start picking things up... It might take a few different videos and attempts, but the learning process will add several years to your brain power!

Also, there are several experienced users here on this list what will be more than happy to help you with questions.

Ted

Getting old for me was like getting kicked by a horse. Ten years ago, I was seeing the doc at the VA. Whatever he did, it didn't seem to work. Then one day I woke up in the hospital out of a three day coma. Turned out my glucose index was over 1100, should had been be 100 and though a careful regiment is now. Every day now I must give myself four shots of insulin. At the time, it may have been stupid, but I bought myself a lathe and later a mill. Not much later I found out about this site. Making things has given me purpose and much pleasure.. A couple of problems. I wear bifocals. So before turning on a machine, I make sure I know exactly what I am going to do, how, and where my hands are. The other is if I'm not feeling right, check my blood sugar. If it is not right, take care of it, and do something else for a while. Sorry that I ramble on. It is just that getting old means that one definitely needs to develop patience and persistence. Other then that, it doesn't seem much of a big deal.

Last year my Cardiologist called and said I have diabetes. My fasting glucose was 225. I went on a keto diet, lost 50 pounds and my blood glucose is now in the normal range. I just can't eat any sugar or carbs. That is not easy for an Italian who loves to make spaghetti, meatballs sausage and brachioles. No bread or cake or most fruits. But I was getting periods of loosing my vision so I'd much rather have my sight. I recommend everyone over 45 to get a glucose meter and check their blood glucose level frequently. High glucose causes heart failure, coronary artery disease, kidney failure. liver failure, pancreas failure and a long list of other serious problems including blindness. Stop it before you get these problems. It was many years ago that I was told agent orange causes type 2 diabetes, but I thought not me. Boy was I wrong. Insulin resistance is the most common cause but if not corrected it can cause you to not be able to use insulin.

Roy

Good call Roy, a morning fasting blood sugar is important to monitor, it is 80-100 mg% when we are near normal(younger)

Yep....much better than the alternative. Just find a workaround. And remember, that there’s always someone who has it much, much worse. The glass is half full ladies and gents.
Eyes hit me at 50. Just have at least 10 pairs of reading safety glasses from McMaster. They are great reading/safety glasses.
And....like I said....someone has it worse. Self pity is a useless emotion in my opinion. Doesn’t do anything but feed on itself. All of my younger years depression originated when I started to feel sorry for myself. Just a bad useless emotion.
FWIW....I turned wrenches most of my life but got hurt when I was 37. Took years of rehab to get some sort of normalcy. And I always am super grateful that I’m not as bad off as I was right after I got hurt. Trust me....it can always be worse.

anyway.....no one said life would be easy. That said....I stumbled upon this hobby because it became obvious about 15 years of my injury that working on cars was just too hard. Yet I could stand in front of a lathe or mill without too much problems.

And I just love this stuff. It’s all good. And yes....I have a stool and a small chair....Because it just makes life easier. If we can’t do something like we used to....or as easy as we used to....we just need a work around. The glass is half full in my opinion.

Here's a thought if you like working on a PC... download a copy of Fusion 360 and learn some CAD.

Thanks Ted, I have just visited the site and registered. Looked at the first two videos to get me to started in trying to learn how to use this programme, it should keep me amused for quite a while! Mike

Back