Ok, so it's just a REAL little thing on my PM-1228 lathe...

As I said earlier in an email, if you were having problems with the machine not having enough power to cut, please contact us at tech support and send details. I have not heard a bit about that though. It seems it is only worrying about what is says on the label, nothing more. I just do not want to see you waste your money on a new motor with zero benefit. But its your money, you can do what you want, just no need to waste it. You ask why we went to the 1.5HP, it was to qualify for the tariff exemption. You asked why we went back to 2HP, well see above thread, this is exactly why. So many get stuck on a HP label when comparing models. If you want a motor we will order you one, but its a waste of money.

OK Matt. Fair enough. I will use the motor I have and if I find that it is underpowered for my needs, than we can go from there. And yes, I realize I get caught up in the details and am way to literal with the information presented to me. I just like things to make sense to me, and for me to feel that I am coming away whole with any transaction I engage in. You have said over and over again that I will receive no benefit from the "2 HP" rated motor over the "1.4 HP" motor I have, and I am going to trust in that you know what you are talking about. You have never steered me wrong in the past, and I am going to keep the faith that this will continue.

Sorry about allowing my stressing over this to darken your day. And thank you for taking the time to address my concerns sufficiently and satisfactorily.

For those of you following this thread, I am requesting that it be deleted. This is of my own volition and I have not even asked Matt about it. He has certainly not requested it of me, nor has anyone else. I finally figured out what really happened, and this thread serves no informational content of any value to anyone. It also can present Matt in an unwarranted unflattering light if not read in it's entirety, or misplaced assumptions are further made.

Sorry. I wish I had figured it out earlier. :(

if you would suspect that the "2 HP" Chinese motor is overly optimistic concerning the actual output then wouldn't the same rules apply for the "1.4 HP" Chinese motor?

Nope.
The name Baldor means something to me; they have earned some respect.

Of course, the names PM and "Quality Machine Tools" have also earned my respect.
For them it is second-hand, as I do not own any PM machines.
However, I have seen how they treat their customers and how many trusted, satisfied customers they have right here.

Brian

@Tired&Retired

You have also recently earned some respect.
We all get stressed about things we believe we are owed, and things not currently going in our favour.
I get that, and I have also worn that yoke.....perhaps more often than I'd like to admit, even here among my friends.

I hope this thread stays (even though I have no control over it).
I believe it does contain valuable info about why a supplier might change parts and specs.
For some vendors it will be for their benefit alone (and hopefully be obvious!), for others, as here, it can be justified to everyone's benefit.

I hope you get a new label/badge that completes your machine to your satisfaction, and that you use it to it's fullest it good health!

Brian

I have posed the question to the staff. We'll discuss it and decide in a day or 2.

I vote you keep the thread. It has valuable info in it and it seems any misunderstanding(s) have been cleared up. Someone else may have similar issues and this seems to explain a lot. I applaud both T& R and Matt for flushing it out. Matt and his folks have always treated me well, but I will admit that there have been a couple of times when I wanted to let it all hang out.

Dave

FWIW I too can vouch for Matt and his team at PM. I live down in the Caribbean (Trinidad & Tobago) so the logistics nightmare is real. Their support and attentiveness has been nothing but stellar in my case! Would buy from them again in a heartbeat. :beer mugs:

Back