Old MAC rolling tool chest

I have sprayed rustolium from my Binks #7 thinning with Acetone with good results and a not overly fast flash time.
in your opinion what would be an advantage of using acetone vs paint thinner or mineral spirits?

I'm guessing they could be made out of mild steel and then heated and tempered in oil?

Mild steel can’t be hardened as such. Maybe you could find some metal strapping from pallet/crate packaging? It might be as easy as bending and grinding. If needed, you could anneal (heat then cool slowly), shape, then reharden.

so these drawer guides have 3" long spring clips on each end which keeps you from pulling the drawers out onto the floor. I have 3 missing and 1 broken. thinking about making a few. I'm guessing they could be made out of mild steel and then heated and tempered in oil? any idea which part of the forum I should ask this question in? looked at the list of forums and nothing seemed really pertinent to this question.

View attachment 385351View attachment 385352View attachment 385353
those look similar to the Kennedy clips..
why not call Mac and see if they sell them.

in your opinion what would be an advantage of using acetone vs paint thinner or mineral spirits?
I was thinking about that. The paint I used was a quite old can of red rustolium and it clearly said to use acetone so that was why I did. If both Acetone or Mineral spirits were allowed I would consider the acetone to be a quicker reducer and more suitable for cooler days when not in the sun. I used a newer can and it seemed to be slow to cure. Judging by your results, I should be asking you! With a faster reducer I would sometimes do a last coat with more reducer than normal.
seems like getting the spray gun to atomize the paint properly is a big key to the “orange peel “ which in itself isn’t really a defect. I had to reduce the paint more than recommended to get it to work. I have used paint which flashed to quickly but the Rustolium doesn’t seem to have that issue at all,

I def had to thin the Rustoleum too much to get it to spray properly. with the temps here I think woodchucker is right that mineral spirits is a better choice.

here's a good question. if you go to home depot, lowes, ace or rural king they carry mineral spirts and paint thinner. the paint thinner is MUCH less expensive than the mineral spirits. what the heck is the actual difference? maybe one is made from petroleum and the other from wood or grain? I have no idea.

Mild steel can’t be hardened as such. Maybe you could find some metal strapping from pallet/crate packaging? It might be as easy as bending and grinding. If needed, you could anneal (heat then cool slowly), shape, then reharden.
that's not a bad idea although I think strapping would be quite a bit thinner. might work. gee I threw a bunch of strapping away when I got my mill not long ago...

@yota those drawer slide retainers looked so familiar, I thought the same as my 1970s Snapon box so I pulled a drawer and nope. I looked at my small 1960s Kennedy box and it is what I was thinking about but not the same. I think those could be bent from spring wire or 1095 or “blue steel” if you could find the rectangular profile. It is a pretty sharp bend. Maybe just heat it at the sharp bends?
8E7DFCB4-9D95-4F44-932A-69C63E39DA54.jpeg43955243-4BEF-4068-9D60-08C82A94708F.jpeg

I def had to thin the Rustoleum too much to get it to spray properly. with the temps here I think woodchucker is right that mineral spirits is a better choice.
I think paint thinner is the same as “mineral spirits “ neither is a very specific thing.
my Binks spray gun is old, it is a siphon gun not HVLP. I kinda roll with the vintage thing. I’ll pretend like it is by choice lol

https://www.mcmaster.com/spring-steel/thickness~0-035/width~1-4-2/ Guessing at the size. 25 ft of it is a little much!

Last edited:
here's a good question. if you go to home depot, lowes, ace or rural king they carry mineral spirts and paint thinner. the paint thinner is MUCH less expensive than the mineral spirits. what the heck is the actual difference? maybe one is made from petroleum and the other from wood or grain? I have no idea.
usually paint thinner is not as pure and can be mixed with other things.

I don't like the low odor MS as much as the real thing. So I've been buying paint thinner from Lowes which is MS. w/out the turps.
your local lowes may be different.

It's rare that I want fast drying on an oil based paint. In hot humid conditions you want a longer dry time.
Orange Peel happens from as you say improper spray atomization, spraying with too much distance, wind, A lot more common when we were spraying lacquer, because it could dry before it even hit the project . Lacquer thinner would cause it to dry too fast.. Using a retarder would help, both in avoiding Orange peel, blushing, getting a nice coat to lay down. obviously having the gun setup correctly, spraying in ideal conditions , keeping the recommended distance while spraying is an important starting point. I haven't even mentioned fish eye killer, but I won't. I stopped using it. But still have it, in case.. but then that gun cannot be used w/out it again.

Back