Older Leblond Model 21

After a better look. It does have spacers:(

I gotta do some more measuring and get a tool post as well as figure out tail stock taper. Possibly jarno 14:(

image.jpeg I am really beginning to wonder if I got a Frankenstein machine?? The leg says Norton machine tool?? In Cincinnati like leblond? Was it a joint venture or ???image.jpeg

Deerslayer,

That is one massive and wonderful machine.
It also looks to be in great shape.
I hope you have many productive years together.
Thanks for all the pictures.
-brino

Lots of thoughts. I looked at a Leblond Lathe, 33 by 8 built in approx 1917. It was one of the original motor driven heavy dutys. It was converted from a variable speed motor to a 10 hp 3 phase and used a 4 speed transmission. Your machine is definitely a line shaft machine converted to electric. 10 hp should do what you want. You'll need to figure the spindle speeds verses surface feet per minute to figure motor speed and pulley sizes. A vfd is a good way to but gets really pricey for a 10 hp motor. You might consider a DC motor they have different torque ratings and if I am not mistaken you could get away with a 5 hp, with a controler. Unless you could find a used one it would be pretty cost prohibitive to purchase new. I've got a 2 speed 3 phase 10 hp motor, that might be a good way to go to get some wider speed selections. Unfortunately it is 440 volt. Hit the local scrap yd and look through their motor pile. You might also go to Practical Machinist web sit and look there for some old Leblond lathes. Lots of info.............

Tim

Ok I am having trouble under standing the deep reduction on this machine. I have it temporaried to spin a little and deep reduction causes either the leather belt or the motor belt to spin.
What I think is to engage deep reduction you disengage knob in plate behind chuck, then throw cam lever in rear? I can rotate it by hand but it turns really hard.
Also any one know what the great big lever on the front does? Best I can tell it moves something back and forth on the cam for deep reduction but I don't see any real purpose.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

That lever is the engagement for your back gears that give you a healthy reduction in spindle RPM. But, you have to disengage the large Bull Gear on the spindle to allow the back gear to operate. Look for a knob on the bull gear that gets pulled out. May have to use a Buba tool to disengage. The bull gear is the gear just behind the lathe chuck shown in your last posted picture. Ken

Yes I disengaged the bull gear.
My process to use back gear is disengage bull gear
Turn cam lever behind headstock that cams the back gear over while gently rotating machine by hand to allow complete engagement.
I took another look this evening and I can't for the life of me figure out what that big lever is moving? I wonder if someone removed something at one time? I looked at the leblond historical site an that one makes sense, mine however seems to be missing something, or something is siezed?

Also when in back gear (thanks for the proper terms btw) it seems to require massive amounts of torque to turn the back gear, I can turn it by hand but the electric motor just smokes the belt or I smoke the leather belt.

Also when in back gear (thanks for the proper terms btw) it seems to require massive amounts of torque to turn the back gear, I can turn it by hand but the electric motor just smokes the belt or I smoke the leather belt.

Sounds like the cone pulley on the spindle is close to being stuck to the spindle. Look for a big set screw about midways on the cone pulley. Usually on the middle step of the pulley. Add some mineral spirits in this hole and see if it will penetrate and loosen up some of the crud. Keep working it unit it gets free to start adding oil to the hole. Sooner or later it should free up. If not, you may have to pull the spindle.

Sounds like the cone pulley on the spindle is close to being stuck to the spindle. Look for a big set screw about midways on the cone pulley. Usually on the middle step of the pulley. Add some mineral spirits in this hole and see if it will penetrate and loosen up some of the crud. Keep working it unit it gets free to start adding oil to the hole. Sooner or later it should free up. If not, you may have to pull the spindle.

I will check that as soon as I get back up to the shop!

Are there any lube points on the back gear assy?

Back