Opinions On Buying The First Lathe. (or The Never Ending, "what Lathe Should I Buy," Question.)

Actually, it is both Emco AND Enco. Emco has supplied higher quality European lathes made by several manufacturers ...

This is news to me, Bob. As far as I know, EMCO Maier made all their own machines up until they sold part of their company to Profi Heimwerkermaschinen Gmbh, who took over the "hobby class" metal (Unimat and Compac series; Emco continued to make the Compac 5 for Profi Heim) and wood working machines. At no time did they sell other maker's machines under their brand name, at least not to my knowledge.

Profi Heim went out of business in 2001. The current Unimat 4 and Compac 8E are made in China but is not sold by Emco. Emco continues to produce machines but they are fully committed to CNC lathes and milling centers and no longer produce or support any of the manual machines.

If you are not in a hurry look for one of these..
11 x 30"
I think it weighs 950# +|- They are out there and come up occasionally, but most Ive seen are rough and asking prices are usually more than $1000.
Great little lathe though. A few of us on the forum have them.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1470611750.875572.jpg6febdb8fde4cf9edce518e3dc2fb36ee_thumb.jpg

According to one of their distributors:

"The success of EMCO Group began with the production of conventional lathes in 1947. Today EMCO is a group of companies known for their innovative solutions, with production sites in Austria, Germany, Italy and Czech Republic."

The last larger shop I worked in bought a Hyperturn 65 from Emco-Maier. Pretty impressive machine, but I still prefer the Integrex family (Mazak)

https://www.mazakusa.com/machines/process/5-axis/

All positively OT lol other than Emco makes nice equipment.

I looked at and considered a few Emco Super 11's also but this one found me first

This is news to me, Bob. As far as I know, EMCO Maier made all their own machines up until they sold part of their company to Profi Heimwerkermaschinen Gmbh, who took over the "hobby class" metal (Unimat and Compac series; Emco continued to make the Compac 5 for Profi Heim) and wood working machines. At no time did they sell other maker's machines under their brand name, at least not to my knowledge.

Profi Heim went out of business in 2001. The current Unimat 4 and Compac 8E are made in China but is not sold by Emco. Emco continues to produce machines but they are fully committed to CNC lathes and milling centers and no longer produce or support any of the manual machines.
You are probably correct, Mike. I am not that familiar with EMCO products and was just going by the paragraph at the bottom of the page here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/index.html
Re-reading it, it appears to be the other way around, with EMCO Maier making machines for Profi Heim. It sounds pretty convoluted, but seems to be limited to the early 21st century. Apologies for any misstatements on my part. I was just trying to contrast Emco and Enco and state that both exist. The OP's question was "Is it Emco or Enco?" and your reply seemed to deny the existence of Enco, which will soon be correct...

Last edited:
Yeah, I had never heard of Emco until you mentioned the brand Mikey. I thought it might have been a typo. I tried searching Emco 11 and nothing really came up in Google on the top so I originally took it as Enco being misspelled.

According to one of their distributors:

"The success of EMCO Group began with the production of conventional lathes in 1947. Today EMCO is a group of companies known for their innovative solutions, with production sites in Austria, Germany, Italy and Czech Republic."

The last larger shop I worked in bought a Hyperturn 65 from Emco-Maier. Pretty impressive machine, but I still prefer the Integrex family (Mazak)

https://www.mazakusa.com/machines/process/5-axis/

All positively OT lol other than Emco makes nice equipment.
That's a real nice one you got there.

Back