Opinions please....

Just curious, did you try to run it all before tearing into it?
Why would I do that? Just kidding. I guess I'm more of a disassemble it, learn about how it works, clean it up, and run it type of person.

Bob, your point is definitely noted. To be clear, I don't use steel wool on any bearing surfaces. Still, those fibers are something I know I should be aware of during cleaning.

UPDATE: Playing with Santa's gift to me.

Well, this machine was also owned by the Department of Defense. Multiple tags found under the crud. The brass nut on the cross slide was replaced at some point, because the old one was in one of the drawers and there are wrench marks on the cross feed bushing.
The friction knurl has been cranked on more than once, to the point that one of the thrust washers had indents from the bearing.
Regardless, the clean up is going relatively well. I got sick of CitrusStrip and switch back to an electrolysis bath. Even the paint is coming off with relative ease.
20171224_085817.jpg
20171224_085612.jpg
20171224_085439.jpg
20171224_085734.jpg

I had the same lathe many years ago. Your going to really love using it. My only wish if I could get mine back . But young and dumb can't be changed.

Keepin' it movin'!!

20171226_222825.jpg20171226_222838.jpg

I have two questions:
There is a spring pin in a blind hole that I need to remove. Any suggestions?? Pic below:
20171226_224102.jpg

Second, can the headstock be completely removed without fear of losing the alignment with the bed? It does register with the Vee-ways. I'm guessing, yes.

dose not make sense to use blind holes as you can't remove them easily, and machinery should be repairable.
Ok, when you say spring pin? Are you saying roll pin, as that does not look like a roll pin. If it is a roll pin, I have used a screw to remove a roll pin. I ground the screw to a taper and screwed it in and pulled on the screw. It was lucky to get a bite into a hardened roll pin. You may be lucky too.

Original documentation calls it a spring pin. I call them roll pins, regardless this one is not hardened. I agree that blind hole in this case seems dumb, but then again what do I know. I pulled the whole shaft out of the machine and it still doesn't make sense why not use a flat with set screws. Oh, well, I'll attack this one tomorrow.

I have seen the style of pin called roll pin, spring pin, torsion pin. Perhaps other names I do not recall.

MrPete222 had a video recently where he was replacing a handle on a drill press and was cursing the manufacturer for installing a pin in a blind hole.

This was likely some cost saving short cut. Bad decision in my view.

If not hardened you should be able to drill out.

Back