Opinions please....

Nice progress on the lathe.

The GS2 VFD has similar design to my TECO VFD, power in at the top and power out to the motor at the bottom. Designed to be installed in a NEMA enclosure. If I upgrade my milling machine to 3 phase and VFD I will get a design with power in/out at the bottom and a box is NEMA rated so no other enclosure needed.

I do not know the default for power on. My TECO displays "60" which is 60 Hz so the motor runs at normal speed. Other VFDs display "0" which means the motor will not run since 0 Hz so you may need to rotate the potentiometer to get to a frequency which will have the motor run.

You can either use the display to set FWD or REV and not wire up the drum switch, or you can run 24V wires to the drum switch and appropriate terminals in the VFD, but do not run the power feed wires through the drum switch then to the VFD. The VFD needs to be handling turning the motor on and off.

Just wanted to share an update:

Used some 1.5" pipe to move the lathe into the final resting place. Still need to paint the cabinet doors(not pictured). Built some adjusting feet without a lathe.(flat bar stock, some drilling, and some tapping) Bought a Starrett 98 level, waiting on it before I reassemble, so I can have a little fun checking for twist. I will turn a "dumbbell" as per the South Bend book, "How to run a lathe" and check for twist once it is put back together. Again, I just want to have some fun with the level.
Resting place.jpg

I also have my 36" straight edge that I want to do some examining of the ways. I have been reading up on Connelly's book for the proper method of using such tools and I'm excited to post my process and really hope to hear back regarding what I'm doing right and wrong when using that tool. My thought is that everybody wins when constructive feedback is provided for a process such as that. I also worked on completing a King Way Alignment tool(80% complete) that I turned many months ago. I have some vials/levels in mind from Geier-Bluhm and still need a bearing cup for the ball side of the tool.
King Way Alignment Tool (1).jpg
King Way Alignment Tool (2).jpg
King Way Alignment Tool (3).jpg
King Way Alignment Tool (4).jpg

Last edited:
I have a Sheldon similar to yours. The cord for mine was undersized and too short. I had to pull the motor off to get it rewired. I did not take the pulley assembly out but sure thought I may have to to get that blasted motor back in there.
You got a heck of a buy in my book! I gave about five times that for mine, just are not that many around this area. At least when your looking for them. Week after I got the Sheldon, lathes fell out of the sky so it seemed. In ninty days I looked at no less than a half dozen more, all of about the same size, various makes and models. I had to use some self restraint twice, almost came home with another one. Seller squabbled over $50 and I would go no higher.
For what I got as a complete turn key set up I am happy.
About the only thing I did not get was a taper attachment. Suprised there was not one as it came out of a gunshop of original owner. I am the fourth owner. The second owner used it very little and then only on small work, it sat most of the time. Third owner had it several years with just some tinkering usage.
I almost painted mine up, then decided to leave it in its natural state, patina and character.
Look forward to more of your work.
Jeff

Just wanted to share an update: I also worked on completing a King Way Alignment tool(80% complete) that I turned many months ago. I have some vials/levels in mind from Geier-Bluhm and still need a bearing cup for the ball side of the tool.
View attachment 253933

I am very interested in seeing you complete this project. I think I understand the concept(s) and it seems a quick reliable process to "square up" or verify the alignment of the ways. Hope you continue it to completion. Thanks.

Ha! I guess it helps that I had a week vacation to work on it since I brought it home. And, this is my fourth disassembly and cleanup of a machine. I've developed a strategy of what works for me and how to organize the tear down/rebuild process.

I also took some video of my attempt of following Connelly's instructions for checking the flat ways with a straight edge. In my case, a straight edge that is shorter than the ways. My short straight edge is 33". I'd like to share it, provided people would be interested. I guess it's ultra beginner stuff, but everytime I approach the topic it seems like such a cryptic thing that one is not allowed to go near or talk about. I would like to use it as a learning platform and not viewed as me knowing what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Please do share the video. Many folks (like me) need exposure to all the concepts that we can find.

Back