Opinions please....

I have seen the style of pin called roll pin, spring pin, torsion pin. Perhaps other names I do not recall.

MrPete222 had a video recently where he was replacing a handle on a drill press and was cursing the manufacturer for installing a pin in a blind hole.

This was likely some cost saving short cut. Bad decision in my view.

If not hardened you should be able to drill out.
The problem with drilling some roll pins out, is the split grabs the point edges and breaks the bit. So it might be a good idea to just slightly round the outer edges to prevent the bit from breaking when it hits them. So they won't dig in.

Tap the inside of the roll pin as deep as you can, then thread in a bolt with a reduced diameter end to get past where the tap quit and bottom out. Should be useful to jack the pin out. Worked for me once.

For some reason I’m really interested in this lathe. I can’t wait to see more.

For some reason I’m really interested in this lathe. I can’t wait to see more.
Well, since there is interest I'll share a little more.
Headstock has been completely stripped. Then it took a bath in plain boiling water with a seriously deep scrubbing, followed immediately with an air compressor.
First coat of paint has been applied. Spindle has been wiped down and all parts oiled.
It doesn't look like much, but there has been a ton of scrubbing to get to this point.
20171228_084315.jpg

Last edited:
Well, a bad stomach bug made the rounds for everybody in our house so things came to a halt for a few days.
Regardless, the endless grease and grime scrubbing on the lathe is nearing completion. The motor/pulleys are caked with heavy grease. Here is where things stand at this point:
20171229_112858.jpg
Moments after wrestling the motor and pulley arrangement out from under the cabinet. Motor is 1hp 3amp 3phase. Looking to get a GS2 or GS3 vfd from automationdirect. Thoughts on the vfd would greatly be appreciated.
20180101_111758.jpg
First coat of paint, do you see that really bent threaded rod? One of two things I have to address on the entire machine. Not bad thus far.
20180101_222255.jpg

Jebas cripes! I’ve been sick as a dog for two days now too! Happy new year, indeed... spent the day and night hugging the throne.

How’s the bed wear? Anything noticeable?
I can’t offer anything on the vfd’s but the link belts is a handy addition. I can say tho, having changed my lathe to dc, the variable speed control is prettttty handy.

Jebas cripes! I’ve been sick as a dog for two days now too! Happy new year, indeed... spent the day and night hugging the throne.

How’s the bed wear? Anything noticeable?
I can’t offer anything on the vfd’s but the link belts is a handy addition. I can say tho, having changed my lathe to dc, the variable speed control is prettttty handy.
I'll check everything after paint is done and I move it into the final resting place. Being bolted to 4x4's at the moment will probably give me a false reading. Regarding any damage to the bed ways, it looks fine. There are typical knicks near the headstock for a machine of this age, but overall it's not bad.

Nice work! I expect it will run as beautifully as it looks!

Back