Optical Comparator Advice

@Arcstar* it is a good buy at 350$, but it will need a new screen, and the one in the picture has no graduations. If it were an 8 hour drive for me and not over the border, I'd buy it in a heartbeat at that price.

James on the youtube channel Clough42 made a new screen for a Lance Balzy:

@Arcstar* it is a good buy at 350$, but it will need a new screen, and the one in the picture has no graduations. If it were an 8 hour drive for me and not over the border, I'd buy it in a heartbeat at that price.

James on the youtube channel Clough42 made a new screen for a Lance Balzy:

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Are there replacement that I can purchase?

After reviewing your pictures, there seems to be a basic screen with graduations. It won't last long with a good screen. It looks sparse, wo wonder if it might be a special purpose screen...

Replacement screens are available if the model is still supplied. but a new screen will be north of 600$. You can photoprint a new graduated screen, when used with care. That is your economical way to get a comprehensive screen.

It looks like I'm in line for a good Nikon toolmaker's microscope, so I no longer need an optical comparator. The do much the same thing a different way.

Tumico makes nice, solid tools, and I like the overhead projected unit for its smaller footprint. Good looking out for the screen, but I have never seen one without a graticule, there have to be subtension marks on the angular one it comes with. For the price, I hope you're on the road right now.

This is exactly the information I was looking for. Are there replacement that I can purchase?
I would reach out to James and see if he would be willing to make one for you. He may want to be compensated, but it's worth the trouble to ask. Worst that can happen is he doesn't reply or he says he can't.

Back