Ot Air Condition The Shop?

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am seriously considering put a large window ac in my shop. The shop is 30x40 with 14 foot roof and is pretty well insulated. I hate cold weather and don't function well in it---but the older I get I can't tolerate the heat either. Have to work first thing in the morning til the temp gets to 95*(that's pushing it) and then quit until late in the evening.
I can get the temperature in the winter from outside temp 35 to 45* up to 60 to 65* in the shop pretty easy using a 220v 5000watt heater so I' thinking maybe a 25,000 BTU ac would make it tolerable in there--I know it won't be meat hanger but somewhere around 80* would be okay for me.
Lowes has one in stock for $599 already have a circuit for it it draws around 11 amps so it won't be free to run but it would only run 4-8 hours a day.
Man I am really getting wimpy my old age.

Try getting a big barn fan first. It's amazing how much difference just getting the air moving makes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Open a window on one end and draw air thru with a fan . As long as it is moveing in the aera your in it might help.

Already have a big 42" shop fan and a high velocity 24" pedestal fan---I can move air---it's just hot air:big grin:

I have a window AC mounted in a hole in the wall (smaller shop - 20x24, but using a small 110V AC I bought used). Even on these 105+ degree days visitors complain that it is too cold in there. Now the shop is where I go when it starts to boil outside. I sure am glad I installed it.

Oh to have a AC. Problem is my Box is full and so I would have to have a new panel run made to put in the circuit to run the thing. I to have fans in my garage shop, but the humidity etc, Plus I have not windows to open. it just gets hot and stays that way.

This is not off topic. Health and safety is foremost to long and happy shop time.
Removing the moisture from the air is also good for your machines.
If you can afford the unit and the increased energy bills please make the buy!

Daryl
MN

I too have been thinking of adding an AC in my garage as it gets quite hot in there. My workshop, however, is in my basement where it stays between 65 and 70 all year long without any heat or AC. I would need to run another outlet for the AC though. I did notice 1 fuse in my panel that is not being used. So should be easy enough.

I have central air in my shop. It makes my shop usable on those high degree days with high humidity. To me, it is money well spent.

Back