Ot Air Condition The Shop?

I just altered my hours and put in an A/C... But if you have a store front you might not get away with it.

Our old shop back at the family homestead had a window unit installed in one end of the building. The walls of the building were insulated, the ceiling was not. We would turn on the window unit the night before, get in the shop about 8-8:30 and work until about 2:00 pm. by that time it was pushing 85+. We shut down and call it a day. I did install motorized vents on the roof. They do help on dropping the temperature about 5-10 degrees, too. I miss the old shop!

Ken, that is right yours is like mine but bigger if not mistaken, but you are further south closer to the coast, thus at times yours must be really bad.
Wish I could win the lottery, then I would be able to build a nice shop with AC already in it. Swamp coolers I know from at least Austin down do not work they just add to the already hid humidity. The barn my wife worked at for a while, had a bunch of them and wandered why everything was rusting.

Do it! do it!! do it!!!

When I bought this house I'm in now, the first thing I did was insulate the shop and the ceiling. Then I went to Walmart and bought the air conditioner. The thing you need to remember is the air conditioners these days are much more efficient. The important thing to do is make sure you have plenty of good insulation, it will pay for itself every time.
I live in south Mississippi, it's very hot here just like Texas.

My new shop is 30 x 30, well insulated and 6" concrete pad with 2' wide 12" deep side footings. So far is stays below 65 out there even in the string of 90+ days. I'm sure that has something to do with the concrete curing out but I hope the concrete mass will help keep the temp stable. I did put a small window unit in to mainly help with humidity. I don't run it very often.

Living in Friendswood TX, I have found AC in the shop a necessity. Not only does it get hot here, there are plenty of mosquitos to boot. My shop is @900 sqft and I have a 18k btu unit cooling it. It is pretty well insulated and my unit has some trouble keeping up. Remember you are generating heat in the shop so extra capacity is needed. Adding the AC and forced air heat have made my shop comfortable year round. ☺

Randy

I have several 5 ton and a couple of smaller condensing units that I would like to see go to better homes. Lacking the air handler (inside unit) selection of electric, gas, or none for the heat can make installation fairly straightforward. Sure makes a difference. Last year I put word out with a couple of A/C buddies and came up with more than I need. I'm running a 3 phase 5 ton air with a 15 KW electric air handler. My shop is only 30 x 40, and it can freeze you out, or cook you....as wanted.

Granted, it's a lot more involved than simply installing a window unit, but in the long run, seems to be the better way to go to me. John, if it's not too late and you want to consider this route, let me know.

i say go get your AC unit!
i have a portable 14000 btu unit that will knock my 2 car sheet rocked garage shop, down 30* from outside ambient temp-
we see temps here into the low 100's every summer
the unit cost $300 but well it's worth.
i like to make fun time in the shop a pleasurable experience!
stay cool :cool:

I have one of those 14,000 btu portable AC's in my garage shop now. My garage is not insulated either. At least the garage doors have about 1-1/2" thick styrofoam secured to it that helps a bunch. I'm also blowing cool air from inside the house into the garage with a fan. Between the two, it's hovering around 80 degrees right now in the hottest part of the day.
My electric bill for the past month that just came in, cough, chock, cough, catch my breath, Way north of$600!!! That was before I call out my AC repairman yesterday to service the house unit.

The things we do to keep our iron comfortable during the summer months!

Last year I did the blow some into the garage from the house, but this year I have not, I think I may have to replace my 5ton unit on the house later this year, as it is over 20 years old, running R22, and cannot get it to work well this year. Not even the hot part of the year and can't get it down to 80 during the day, and it is running full time.
I may also look at putting the Styrofoam on the garage door, if it really helps.
If I redo the house one, I know there are two ducts that can cool the garage

Back