Ot Air Condition The Shop?

Tony I really appreciate the offer.
I had a Doctor appointment today and when I left there I just went to Lowes and bought the 25,000 Btu Ac unit.
I have it in the window, just need to finish up the wiring tomorrow.

I have several 5 ton and a couple of smaller condensing units that I would like to see go to better homes. Lacking the air handler (inside unit) selection of electric, gas, or none for the heat can make installation fairly straightforward. Sure makes a difference. Last year I put word out with a couple of A/C buddies and came up with more than I need. I'm running a 3 phase 5 ton air with a 15 KW electric air handler. My shop is only 30 x 40, and it can freeze you out, or cook you....as wanted.

Granted, it's a lot more involved than simply installing a window unit, but in the long run, seems to be the better way to go to me. John, if it's not too late and you want to consider this route, let me know.

yeah double ++ on the insulation....I stuck a 10k btu window unit in my metal shed/shop and it does nothing . I have it set up to blow directly on me at the workbench for a cooling break, but running for hours it can't make up for metal walls and roof in S Florida. :>(

I have central air in my shop. I also have a dehumidifier that runs much more than the air unit. You can really tell the difference with that dehumidifier. With the low humidity it is really comfortable in the 80's. It is nice to be able to use the shop any time.

I did not think of getting a dehumidifier, as that would help, I wander if I could put it where the thing just drained out the side the house into the grass.

The one I have I let it use the same drain the air conditioner uses. I leave it on set at 45% and let it cycle on and off. Very reasonable at around $200.

i say go get your AC unit!
i have a portable 14000 btu unit that will knock my 2 car sheet rocked garage shop, down 30* from outside ambient temp-
we see temps here into the low 100's every summer
the unit cost $300 but well it's worth.
i like to make fun time in the shop a pleasurable experience!
stay cool :cool:

Mike,

Which brand/model do you have? I will be busy in the garage in the coming weeks when I get home (as you know) it is a good time to get a unit. I don't want a window unit, I am not about to cut into those Hardy siding panels. The garage is fully insulated, including an insulated single garage door, and one outlet from the house AC over my workbench, but that is not enough to keep the whole garage at a large enough differential temperature when Austin hits in the mid 90s.

nez

Hi Nez,
i went with the Soleus Air PH1-14R-03DB- model-KY36
it works very well!

Ulma Doctor
+1 on what portable did you get.
that might be a good one for me to look at as well.

I was going to suggest two medium air conditioners one on each end or sides. We had a large one in our house for twenty years and the electric bill ate us up and it only did one or two rooms well.now we have two 10,000 btu models one in each end and the house gets cooler and stays cool at around one third of the electric the old one used.plus these have thermostats that work like a heater runs on demand .

Back