OT - Counterfeit Loctite?

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I recently received and infusion of funds in my Paypal account and, remembering I was out of thread locker, I went shopping on eBay. Much to my surprise I found 50 ml bottles of high-strength (red) for the same price as 10 ml bottles. The only difference was the 50 ml bottles come from China. My spidey sense started tingling.

I bet it’s not 5 times less effective. Enjoy. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_2343.jpeg
    IMG_2343.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 55
Upon a second look, I realized that the listing states "New-LOCTITE 271" but the package does not. I also realized that the 10 ml bottles that I ordered also did not say Loctite on the bottle. I guess I'll find out.

1702436325019.png

If that's what you ordered I'd say you've been had. The only thing worse than buying it would be actually using it in a critical application.

Here's the real thing, I'd demand a refund and tell eBay to shut this bozo down.

"All Metal Adhesive - Glue":mad:

John

I don't have any critical applications.
I was thinking about trying some anyway, now I will.
No surprise the Chinese would get in on it, it always seemed that Loctite was overpriced.
I will also notify eBay, not that I expect they'll do anything.

Unrelated to this, A few months ago I purchased some “red” loctite from HF because I was in a pinch for retaining a couple set screws . I don’t trust it so I put a little bit extra horsepower on the allen wrench to mitigate my distrustful feelings. The set screws are still holding, but i can’t say its the retention fluid doing the work

I have come to believe anything sold on eGay is junk. The world can do as they please...I've been screwed there. Not going back.
Where I'm really pitiful is I paid shipping for my screwing. I feel so cheap and used...

I have come to believe anything sold on eGay is junk. The world can do as they please...I've been screwed there. Not going back.
Where I'm really pitiful is I paid shipping for my screwing. I feel so cheap and used...
Some people pay extra for that.

I e used lots of funky off brand threadlockers especially the stuff that comes with/from RC Helicopters. For the most part it works even if not just like the genuine article.

Now if it says loctite and is something else that’s a different story.

My real concerns with these nockoffs is what’s actually in them? Are they more dangerous to use in your home shop than the genuine article?

In a pinch you can always squeeze the threads with vice grips like we did on out bikes when we were kids.

I don't have any critical applications.
I was thinking about trying some anyway, now I will.
No surprise the Chinese would get in on it, it always seemed that Loctite was overpriced.
I will also notify eBay, not that I expect they'll do anything.
Might be a worthy replacement or not.

I'll pay extra for genuine products that are safety related regardless. Loctite does their research and testing, and I've used their products with good results nearly my whole life.

I work on motorcycles, race cars and karts, many fasteners need safety wire but there are always those that aren't required but would ruin your day if they came loose none the less.

Any counterfeit safety product just makes me angry. There are folks out there who don't know the difference and there's no telling when something they worked on might come crashing into my world.

Other companies can and do make thread retaining compounds. If their stuff works then advertise it as "compare to". People will still buy without ripping off the name.

JMHO,

John

Back