Paint Stripping to Become More Difficult?

Provincial

Registered
Registered
I noticed is MC paint stripper has been harder to find lately, the Big-box stores around me don't seem to stock it anymore. Though I did find some at a professional paint store. Anyway, I decided the last thing I paint stripped would be the last thing I ever paint strip. Tis such an unpleasant process...

Tis such an unpleasant process...
Unpleasant and super toxic. It’s why I don’t repaint my machines. I think it’s interesting that when faced with regulations there has been some non toxic replacements. One I’ve been trying to get to is stripping some powder coat and bought some stuff that everybody says is better than the old super toxic stuff and is non toxic. My problem is finding the right size pan to fit the part, not the stripper.

It's been unavailable for a long time here in NJ... It's way better than everything else.
Also recently MEK has disappeared, and I needed some to weld some abs plastic... damn.

The state of CA has deemed water to be toxic, so soon NJ will follow suit o_O (just kidding ... I think)

I bought about 10 cans of the “good stuff” before it disappeared off the shelves.

I went on the hunt about a year and a hakf ago after trying the new “green” paint stripper on a motorcycle rim. It was so pathetic I though I must have done something wrong. Nope, just ineffective.

If I ever run out, dot3 is also great at stripping paint…don’t ask me how I found that out…...;)

Last fall I wanted to strip the paint off of a Vidmar cabinet. I mentioned my upcoming project to a coworker and he recommended this stuff...
I was skeptical but I will have to say that it was the best stuff I have ever used. One application and the paint on the sides of the cabinet literally fell off. I was amazed at how well it worked plus I did not have to have a hazmat suit on.
With that being said, it will not work for everything, just like other paint strippers will not work for everything either. A few weeks ago I decided to strip and repaint the wheels on our Hyundai Santa Fe. The stuff in my above link sort of worked, but not great. I tried MEK too. Nope, it didn't work. Ended up using a wire wheel on my angle grinder the Back to Nature Stripper in combination. It was one of those projects that I wish I had never started but I had to see it through to the end.

Back