Paint Stripping to Become More Difficult?

Hmmm - Well, at that price, I guess I'll be sticking with my usual Neanderthal style paint removal techniques.
But thanks for the link :~)
Well I can tell you your stone knives and clubs don’t work on powder coat, paint it does, but powder coat lotsa luck. I was able to strip 3 units that retail for $130ea. and one unit that was $95. Being somewhat delicate and having a lot a structure it is not worth it to do it any other way. The blems happened as they were coming out of the oven and of course on the top side that the customer would see. It’s impossible to put another coat over unlike spray paint so the only real solution is completely strip. In this case I‘m glad there is an alternative that works and luckily I only messed up 4 in thousands of pieces I've done. Not bad.

Well I can tell you your stone knives and clubs don’t work on powder coat, paint it does, but powder coat lotsa luck. I was able to strip 3 units that retail for $130ea. and one unit that was $95. Being somewhat delicate and having a lot a structure it is not worth it to do it any other way. The blems happened as they were coming out of the oven and of course on the top side that the customer would see. It’s impossible to put another coat over unlike spray paint so the only real solution is completely strip. In this case I‘m glad there is an alternative that works and luckily I only messed up 4 in thousands of pieces I've done. Not bad.

This is not true. I have sanded powder coating and color top coated it with great results. Clear powder is many times added over color for a high gloss. So, you have options.

Also, bear in mind, this is a hobbyist forum. Price is much more considered than for commercial projects.

This is not true. I have sanded powder coating and color top coated it with great results. Clear powder is many times added over color for a high gloss. So, you have options.

Also, bear in mind, this is a hobbyist forum. Price is much more considered than for commercial projects.
This is also not true in my case. I don’t have big flat areas so it’s thicker than probably usual. Before I did my stuff I was using a professional shop and they would not re coat without complete strip either as it would dimple no matter how you sanded it.

The OP was it’s getting hard to get decent stripper, I was just saying there are options that work and for me it was worth it. And recoating was not an option. Neither is sanding or even sandblasting. Been there, tried it. It came out bad.

This is also not true in my case. I don’t have big flat areas so it’s thicker than probably usual. Before I did my stuff I was using a professional shop and they would not re coat without complete strip either as it would dimple no matter how you sanded it.

The OP was it’s getting hard to get decent stripper, I was just saying there are options that work and for me it was worth it. And recoating was not an option. Neither is sanding or even sandblasting. Been there, tried it. It came out bad.
Yup, thank you for the link. I have made a note of the website for future use. You are correct, not all solutions work for all problems.

It just sounded a little like you were berating Wayback Machine (not the OP) for rejecting the cost.

t just sounded a little like you were berating Wayback Machine (not the OP) for rejecting the cost.
The complete opposite. I didn’t post the link originally because I knew it was expensive. But in the case of powder coat there are no alternatives now as they have quit making the stuff I’d used before. And to my surprise this stuff works better than the old stuff. But everything is a trade off and it’s tough to figure what is worth it to each person. But in my case because this is for customers and my particular application I was just scared by the other posts that the stuff I bought was garbage, expensive garbage. I was just relating back what I’d found.

Has anyone tried buying MC from a chemical supply place and adding it to stripper?
KleanStrip makes one they call Aircraft Paint Remover. I wonder what the difference is other than the price 'cause it says aircraft? They could charge even more if they said Marine/Aircraft.

U
Has anyone tried buying MC from a chemical supply place and adding it to stripper?
KleanStrip makes one they call Aircraft Paint Remover. I wonder what the difference is other than the price 'cause it says aircraft? They could charge even more if they said Marine/Aircraft.
Ummm, I don’t think I’d be mixing reactive chemicals unless I knew what they were going to do once they were “interacting”.

Could do nothing or they could have a fairly violent exothermic reaction.

If one could get MC, one could duplicate the mix of an old product. I'm not too worried about the chemistry. MC is still used in industry.

@C-Bag Man, I wish I had known about that stuff a month ago. I stripped four powder-coated wheels using a combination of strippers available at a big box store and a powered wire brush. It was three days of my life that I will never get back. I would have gladly paid $150/gallon for something that worked.
Thank you for the link.

It just sounded a little like you were berating Wayback Machine (not the OP) for rejecting the cost.
Ha !
No worries - I've been be-rated, de-rated, pro-rated, under (rarely), and (mostly) over-rated - It's all good :~)
But seriously, I totally get it - If I was in the powder coating business, I wouldn't bat an eye at spending that kind of money to recover a fragile and expensive part. I'd keep a supply of that stuff on hand.
As far as primitive tool use, I do have a blast cabinet, so maybe I'm really advanced to the Cro-Magnon level - I think sometimes though, that for me, the Bronze, and especially the Iron Age, is just a dream .....

Back