Paint Stripping to Become More Difficult?

Fortunately, my stripping days are over. ;) My last can of methylene chloride stripper has bit the dust but our remodeling of this 110 y.o. house is virtually complete.

I would use caution using lye based substances. They will voraciously eat aluminum and zinc materials. If using them on wood, it is necessary to thoroughly wash the piece to remove any traces of the lye. Also, it goes without saying, use PPE. Lye also dissolves human flesh.

I am using Jasco premium paint and epoxy stripper. really noxious, and goes through gloves immediately. But it strips.. and does it well.
Not as nice as meth chlor, which is easier to use, but it works. I tried for a long time citristrip, but it seemed to get weaker after a time.. now garbage. Jasco works pretty well.

Unpleasant and super toxic. It’s why I don’t repaint my machines. I think it’s interesting that when faced with regulations there has been some non toxic replacements. One I’ve been trying to get to is stripping some powder coat and bought some stuff that everybody says is better than the old super toxic stuff and is non toxic. My problem is finding the right size pan to fit the part, not the stripper.
Well after many shenanigans and side rabbit holes I was FINALLY able to try this new powder coat stripper and I’m more than pleasantly surprised. I put two units in to the stripped and within minutes I was seeing wisps of coating floating around. Let them sit for and hour and they were completely clean! Put the next one in and let it got for 40min and it was clean. Did the last one and expected it being the last in line and the liquid being totally black now it might quit but let it go for 30min and clean as a whistle! The old super toxic stuff I can no longer get didn’t work this good. Crazy. Happy and relieved.

I thought Methylene Chloride has been banned for a while??? I have not been able to get it for years. If any one knows a source please advise.

I thought Methylene Chloride has been banned for a while??? I have not been able to get it for years. If any one knows a source please advise.
You can still find it here locally, if tou’re in Canada.

Have to read the can though…not all have the magic ingredient…

The EPA banned its use as a paint stripper. It is still an important solvent in the lab. It is one of the first expanded standards under OSHA, so much of its use in the workplace was phased out long ago. Substitution is often cheaper than compliance.

The reason MEK is getting hard to find is tighter regulation on listed VOC and sVOC chemicals. What isn't lost to the atmosphere and broken down into hazy smog ends up in groundwater, so the effect of nearly 100% of volatile chems manufactured going into the environment really adds up. The substitutes are already out there, most of what Krylon and RustOleum sell these days are good products, they've adapted and moved on.

Back