Paint Stripping to Become More Difficult?

Yeah, that's an interesting one. I'll have to try it on the next project. I'm guessing with the formic acid that it smells rank. Not sure why it's needed in the formula exactly. I haven't played with n-methyl pyrrolidone, but it seems to be pretty versatile. Worth a try.
Jasco and this stuff do smell funky but it doesn’t bother me. I’m sure some people will not like it. NMP is the active? Great solvent

Jasco and this stuff do smell funky but it doesn’t bother me. I’m sure some people will not like it. NMP is the active? Great solvent
Looks like formic acid is the active reagent, and NMP is the highly compatible and versatile solvent. There appears to be a slew of complex intermediates, but the two would go well together. I am guessing that it will be available in California for quite some time, despite toxicological effects existing the classifications put it on the outer fringe of the Prop 65 microscope. Clean-up is a water rinse, I like that. I'm going to buy some and give it a whirl.

Looks like formic acid is the active reagent, and NMP is the highly compatible and versatile solvent. There appears to be a slew of complex intermediates, but the two would go well together. I am guessing that it will be available in California for quite some time, despite toxicological effects existing the classifications put it on the outer fringe of the Prop 65 microscope. Clean-up is a water rinse, I like that. I'm going to buy some and give it a whirl.
It nicely bubbled the paint off. Seems to largely ignore the filler underneath. Did get a little surface rust on the bare areas of the casting from the water in the formula, but it literally wipes off with a scrub brush. So it will be my go to for now.

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpeg
    IMG_4218.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 4
It nicely bubbled the paint off. Seems to largely ignore the filler underneath. Did get a little surface rust on the bare areas of the casting from the water in the formula, but it literally wipes off with a scrub brush. So it will be my go to for now.
I bought a pallet full of old hardware store parts drawers, and it had like 6 boxes of corks. I’m thinking I will never use those, turns out they make great plugs to protect holes during painting lol!

Excuse the awful casting look, I have to get this mill back running and no time to fill and sand for a class A surface. It’s getting some Rustoleum rattle can until I can someday rebuild the entire machine.

Attachments

• IMG_4220.jpeg
    IMG_4220.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4219.jpeg
    IMG_4219.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 7
Back