Paint Stripping to Become More Difficult?

why did you use the spray. Liquid just pour it on and brush it out. but whatever. I had good results with it.
Better than the other strippers.

That was like the day after the methylene chloride ban, so it was what they had on the otherwise bare shelves where the good stuff used to be. The citrus gel did sort of okay, at least it softened the paint a little bit and it didn't stink. The Jasco smelled like a municipal landfill next to a pig farm.

yea, the citrus stuff is slow, and requires so many applications.

Has any used drain cleaner.
I have use that past. Works great they use same chemicals in transmission hot tanks too.

Dave

Last edited:
I have use that past. Works great they use same chemicals in transmission hot tanks too.

Dave
Mixed with water and cornstarch to make a paste.

Dave
My casting has multiple bronze bushings so sodium hydroxide isn’t recommended, even at 5% concentration. Not fun to work with either, I used to make it too, in electrolytic cells 100 feet long and 15 feet square. It will eat skin, leather, nearly everything organic.

Well I can confirm the Sunnyside stuff is melting the 66 year old paint off of my mill. Citrus stuff did nothing, Jasco did a little, but this stuff is bubbling it off. I’m guessing these new strippers are only good with certain types of paint chemistry. So trial and error until you find one that works.

Attachments

• IMG_4217.jpeg
    IMG_4217.jpeg
    683 KB · Views: 6
Well I can confirm the Sunnyside stuff is melting the 66 year old paint off of my mill. Citrus stuff did nothing, Jasco did a little, but this stuff is bubbling it off. I’m guessing these new strippers are only good with certain types of paint chemistry. So trial and error until you find one that works.
Yeah, that's an interesting one. I'll have to try it on the next project. I'm guessing with the formic acid that it smells rank. Not sure why it's needed in the formula exactly. I haven't played with n-methyl pyrrolidone, but it seems to be pretty versatile. Worth a try.

Back