Paint Stripping to Become More Difficult?

I store my stuff in brown glass bottles with lids made for chemicals. Started that after picking up a can that should have been nearly full!

I’ve tried just about every “safe” paint stripper they sell in California, and none work on old machines tool well. So either I wear a respirator and use some slightly unpleasant banned chemicals to strip this lead-based toxic 1940-50’s paint in 2 hours, or use their crappy “safe” stuff that takes 5 applications and tons of scraping over many days, putting lead paint dust everywhere.

Going to give the Sunnyside one above a try but if that fails, I used to work at a large chemical company and we made methylene chloride as an intermediate, easy peasey lemon squeezie…..at $44/liter my profit margins would be 99%.

Reminds me of the “safe” gasoline spouts that came out to save a few micrograms of vapor, while you spill a pint of liquid trying to use it.

Reminds me of the “safe” gasoline spouts that came out to save a few micrograms of vapor, while you spill a pint of liquid trying to use it.
Yup, I've replaced all of them with plain ol' flex spouts. Fortunately, you can buy them.

I’ve tried just about every “safe” paint stripper they sell in California, and none work on old machines tool well. So either I wear a respirator and use some slightly unpleasant banned chemicals to strip this lead-based toxic 1940-50’s paint in 2 hours, or use their crappy “safe” stuff that takes 5 applications and tons of scraping over many days, putting lead paint dust everywhere.

Going to give the Sunnyside one above a try but if that fails, I used to work at a large chemical company and we made methylene chloride as an intermediate, easy peasey lemon squeezie…..at $44/liter my profit margins would be 99%.

if you haven't, try the jasco epoxy and paint remover. Order gloves , the only gloves they recommend ( I called Jasco) was film gloves. I bought https://www.zoro.com/search?q=film gloves the Ansco film gloves.

if you haven't, try the jasco epoxy and paint remover. Order gloves , the only gloves they recommend ( I called Jasco) was film gloves. I bought https://www.zoro.com/search?q=film gloves the Ansco film gloves.
Home Depot says you can’t buy it in California…but Amazon had it more expensive but will ship, so I’m assuming I’ll get some watered down eco-friendly junk version. Will know next week….

Home Depot says you can’t buy it in California…but Amazon had it more expensive but will ship, so I’m assuming I’ll get some watered down eco-friendly junk version. Will know next week….
wear a respirator too.

That new-fangled Jasco junk is some solvents mixed with dimethyl carbonate salts, which basically breaks down into methanol in contact with the atmosphere, and the methanol slowly attacks the paint as a nucleophile. It's a frustrating experience going from chems that work to chems that act slower than molasses in winter. Plus it stinks like rotting fruit mixed with dog doo. I'm just going to just use brake fluid on my next job, followed with a pressure wash.

That new-fangled Jasco junk is some solvents mixed with dimethyl carbonate salts, which basically breaks down into methanol in contact with the atmosphere, and the methanol slowly attacks the paint as a nucleophile. It's a frustrating experience going from chems that work to chems that act slower than molasses in winter. Plus it stinks like rotting fruit mixed with dog doo. I'm just going to just use brake fluid on my next job, followed with a pressure wash.
Its not slow. It's a lot faster than everything else I have tried lately.

My best one is on Monday a employee with a hangover and right angle grinder withe a wire brush. Works ever time but sometimes they need to go home to replace there pants zipper.

Dave

The Jasco did the least out of all this stuff. Jasco made the rusty mess without softening the enamel and stunk up my shop for two weeks after use. Methylene chloride would have been a one and done. It was tough paint, but damn.
PXL_20230114_225557557 (2).jpgPXL_20230114_224739203 (1).jpg

Back