parting tool?

after a couple of unpleasant experiences with HSS parting blade in steel.

Did they explode ? I've had a few literaly shatter into many flying pieces, always good to un nerve one a little :)

Stuart

Best way is manually doing it, with the bandsaw.

Definitely that can be easier but it is nice to be able to part off. I think finding the sweet spot for your lath and tool is key then it becomes much less scary.

:)

Stuart

Did they explode ? I've had a few literaly shatter into many flying pieces, always good to un nerve one a little :)

Stuart

Exactly! I blame it on my setup though. Nothing like parting at 90 rpm and having the blade grab the work. I swear no matter how fast you think you are you will never hit the ESD before the blade explodes. However ... parting is going better with the GTN setup. Bandsaw is my first choice when practical.

I've had good luck so far with this one in hot roll and 4130. I decided to purchase it after a couple of unpleasant experiences with HSS parting blade in steel. I like it because the blade is smaller than the groove cut by the insert. I'm sure I will destroy it sooner or later. Set up with any parting tool is critical.

View attachment 290709
I ordered a set up like this....I am trying a couple of different approaches.

I'm not a big fan of the common GTN/GTL/GTR inserts for parting blades. I love my Manchester Separator & Nikcole Mini Systems parting & grooving tools. I use the old Manchester tools the most. Very sharp, nice groove on the center of the insert so they fold the chip to help evacuate easy, & they last forever. Parts Ti 6-4 like butter too. Manchester was bought out by Kennametal years ago but the Separator tools can still be purchased under the Kennametal & Widia brands.

My favorite parting tool is the bandsaw. ;) I rarely use a parting blade. Whatever exceeds the capacity of my Manchester tools I use the bandsaw.

View attachment 290378View attachment 290379

Can you indicate when the holder number is on those Manchester holders? I can't seem to find that style.
[EDIT]- Also, what Separator insert are you using in which you have so much success in titanium? That is specifically my target material that I need to part.

Last edited:
I used to have negligible success parting until I did two things...got a cutoff insert holder like Stupoty and bought a really rigid beefy lathe. So far, no problems.

Here's mine made from scrap to run a 32 mm blade upside down. The other aim was to get the blade as close to the pivot of the toolpost as possible.
Slot was cut on the mill when cutting dovetails and then cleaned up in place on the lathe. Can part off under power at turning speed.

Attachments

• HPIM0156.JPG
    HPIM0156.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 137
My parting woes dissipated once I replaced the top slide with a solid plinth to hold my axa qctp.
I use hss "T" shaped blades, always check its on centre but just eyeball the 90'.

Back