Pass Around 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got box 1 yesterday, Thought I had posted something but it did not make it. The fun began just after opening it trying to figure out what all was there. I finally decided on a few items. First was the American machine book, selected it because I could not stand to see it get damaged any more, another piece in the box jammed through the spine, thus took it, then took some #6x40 taps, and 2 inserts. Want them to try and make something. Then had fun trying to decide what I wanted to put in the box. and still may change my mind while siting here typing. but trying to gest things re arranged in the box is a bit tight in spots. Hope the next one gets it in good shape. Just so everyone sees the job that was done on the box, I have pictures of it, and the fact it is now BOX 1 and what I took. You can see the damage on the book, and yes I have problems with this phone camera. Give me an old camera and I could take good pictures, but these new phone thing are ??????? enjoy. Will try to get the box out first of next week.. View attachment 111398 View attachment 111399 View attachment 111400 View attachment 111401
Well,Gosh Darn ! I thought the prize in my box was the book. Sorry,
BLJHB.

The box is the prize, along with taking what you need most and adding what you need least. :) The real prize is reading how much someone appreciates what you put in the box. at least that's how I feel about it. Can't wait to see what's in there, and add my own bits and bobs.

Oh, don't take it wrong, the book was a prize and still is. I did not have one yet, And will be kept safe, an that made room for some other items.

I have also suggested to ogberi to put all the states that this box has been to on the outside of the box that way we can see what and where it has gone.
I know TN, WV,TX, and FL.
It was mailed yesterday, with the comment that I was sure getting my use out of the priority mail box. I just grinned at her.

Box #1 started out in New Hampshire and has also been to Minnesota.

Box #2 arrived here on Thursday after I had left on a short vacation for a few days, so I did not get to examine the contents until today when I arrived home. I kept a neat little bore scope and a swarf picker. Both are neat little gadgets. I packed some other items in there in their place and have the box ready to go on its way to New Jersey to visit Chippy. It will be leaving here tomorrow on its new journey.

Below are photos of the old electric drill that I kept from box #1 (I never posted a photo) and of the two items that I kept today from box #2.

- The drill works just fine and it runs at a fast speed, so it will work great for some projects where my cordless is just not fast enough.
- The bore scope is not a bore scope in the truest sense of the word, but does do a great job of illuminating the inside of a bore allowing one to get a look at the inside, albeit just from the end. Even so, it works far better than trying to peer into a cylinder bore or similar without any light at all. It is not visible in the photo, but the corner that is cut off of the elbow has a piece of clear plexiglass or similar glued on the opening. The open end of the elbow is held over the bore to be examined, and the light is turned on. The plexiglass reflects enough light down the bore to allow you to also view the bore through the plexi.
- The swarf picker is an item that I had seen somewhere else and had it on my "must make one" list, but now I have one ready made! It is a piece of brass tube, capped on one end. Inside is a magnet on a heavy wire handle. After picking up iron or steel chips with it, hold it over a waste bin and pull the handle back. The chips then drop off the end of the tube but cannot follow the magnet because of the plastic collar that is glued on the outside of the tube.

Thanks guys!

100_1235.JPG 100_1236.JPG

Sweet! I'd bet that old drill is still going strong long after your cordless grinds to a halt. And if not, it'd be an easy fix. :)

Box number one arrived on my doorstep today, which was a pleasant surprise on an otherwise crappy day. Seriously, it made my day.

I spent quite awhile laying everything out and having a blast just looking everything over. Quite a selection of things! I settled on a pair of inserts, a piece of soapstone because my marker is down to a nubbin and I keep forgetting to grab more, and a chipping hammer, which is fantastic because mine went missing in the move and I've been using either a chunk of scrap or a badly-abused little claw hammer.
tmp_11396-20150928_2231101146143349.jpg

I then grabbed some goodies out of my shop and added to the box.
I think they'll be enjoyed, which is good because I either have plenty, or have no need for them. I'd rather see them be put to use by someone, than for said items staring sadly at me from the toolbox.

Now, I know me don't say what we added, but as an afterthought I grabbed an item to add, because I have a few, and it's an oddball item. It's a single flute down-spiral toolbit. Not left handed, but down spiral. It's still in the factory wax, and I don't think it's been used. It would primarily be used at high (router) rpms on things like plastic. I have not tried one on aluminum yet (it's on the to-do list), nor have I tried it on plastic. In fact I haven't tried one at all yet. I'm only spilling the beans on that one single item, because it is an uncommon tool, and it's function and use may not be immediately apparent to someone unfamiliar with them.

The rest of the stuff? you'll have to wait and see. :)

Due to some family matters to attend to, I won't be able to mail the box out until Wednesday or Thursday of this week. I apologize for that, but it simply can't be helped. I'll pm the next recipient in the morning, can't check the spreadsheet from my phone.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this pass-around!

Hi All,

Talking about Box #1 here...

I had to wander into my shop for something (can't remember what), and started browsing through my stuff. Added some more stuff to the box, to fill up the voids and help whomever might could use that stuff. It's all stuff that I either don't use or have multiples of, so it won't be missed, and the space is now available for me to buy other stuff. :)

The box is packed, in a new flat rate box, and will be mailed tomorrow. One of the inserts in the corner stripped out (I think there was a burr in the insert, and I didn't turn hard...) So there's only 9 screws to hold the cover on. :(

I intend to thoroughly enjoy the items I took out, just as soon as I have a few minutes to rub together to use 'em. And I hope whomever picks the items I put in there enjoys them and puts 'em to work. Please do.

image.jpg I received Box #2 yesterday and will be sending it to JPower today. The box held up well unfortunately a couple of the items where damage. Here is the photo of the items I'm hanging onto.

This whole experience has been really great, and I hope it continues for a long while.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back