Phase II QCTP. Not what I expected.

Wow all of a sudden I don't feel so good...
If you find that the QCTP isn't up to spec.... Call Matt. In my experience he will try his best to make you happy.

Wow all of a sudden I don't feel so good... My PM-1236T will be here in 2 months loaded with PM-BXA junk... As far as I know I don't think I can cancel the stuff... K ima go hide and cry now..!

Honestly, I'd just ignore that post, as it wasn't very helpful in general. For example the user didn't even define "registration problems". I have north of 2 dozen cheap AXA holders, and every single one of them have always just worked on my cheap none PM tool holder. As Dabbler said just call or email Matt if you have an issue.

If you find that the QCTP isn't up to spec.... Call Matt. In my experience he will try his best to make you happy.
Being relatively new to this hobby and like most new people, I honestly wouldn't know the difference between a good or bad tool post unless it was blatantly obvious, being its listed on a web page as an accessory to an 8 thousand dollar lathe one would think its not just mediocre stuff.

So seeing someone that is well versed in using a lathe mention that the PM-BXA stuff is junk, you start questioning the purchase, Can you imaging going to a fine restaurant ordering a $300.00 per plate meal and they serve you McDonalds' French fry's as a side dish with it... you would walk out.

Being relatively new to this hobby and like most new people, I honestly wouldn't know the difference between a good or bad tool post unless it was blatantly obvious, being its listed on a web page as an accessory to an 8 thousand dollar lathe one would think its not just mediocre stuff.

Honestly the only thing you don't want is a piston style qctp.
Other than that, as long as the dovetails don't look like someone went at them with an angle grinder, you will be good to go. Because of the way they are designed to work, they are pretty easy for anyone to make, and have work well.

Don't get sucked into the everything needs to be as precise and pretty as a Swiss watch mindset. It's a phenomenon I see far to often in this hobby.

Honestly, I'd just ignore that post, as it wasn't very helpful in general. For example the user didn't even define "registration problems". I have north of 2 dozen cheap AXA holders, and every single one of them have always just worked on my cheap none PM tool holder. As Dabbler said just call or email Matt if you have an issue.

Appreciate the info, but I'm pretty sure I messed up on that part of the purchase, It was not very expensive, I was thinking maybe your getting a break on some decent tools when you buy one of their lathes... I only bought the BXA stuff after I was told by PM that my AXA stuff wouldn't work with the new lathe, that way I could hit the ground running when my lathe shows up... Ill call tomorrow and see if I can remove all the BXA stuff from my order and wait till I get the lathe, measure the center and see what I really need, If I cant remove it ill sell it off.

I have read a posts where the PM BXA stuff was liked by a beginner but hearing its not by a more savvy person carries a bit more weight. My intentions are to learn threading and make some of thoese Magic Nut items I've seen on this old Tony, My end goal...

I currently have several sets of AXA stuff, and am hoping that the Accusize set will work, If does ill just give away or sell the other sets, If not Ill likely buy an Accusize BXA set that I think most people agree is decent... and down the road decide on either Dorian or Aloris when I have a clue what I am doing... I could buy one now but I know ill be making mistakes and don't want to mess up a really nice set just yet, I also don't want junk either...

Last edited:
I have read a posts where the PM BXA stuff was liked by a beginner but hearing its not by a more savvy person carries a bit more weight.
Here goes...

If Matt says the BXA is the right size for the 1440 your lathe, then you can bet real money it is right. My 1440 has a BXA on it and it works fine. And before you worry about who is savvy here, you should know I have over 45 years machining experience. not just in duration but tens of thousands of hours over that time using both lathes and mills. The BXA system is so simple that you should *not* be afraid. Not every horror story you hear is true.

So here goes: I have BXA piston from offshore. I have BXA wedge *real* Aloris. I have wedge BXA from offshore. (you see I have 3 lathes,, all outfitted with every tool post style I can afford. Very long story). Fit and finish - the 900$ (Canadian) Aloris wins. For *functionality* they all work fine. My 1440 has a 3HP motor on it and I can take a big chip with any of the holders. No problem parting with any of them.

Your tool post should not be on your worry list. What you should be worrying about is that your carrier might havve mistreated it in transit. Take a LOT of photos - of the crate, and every step of the unboxing, including video. This is your protection and evidence if anything has gone wrong. And if it is fine, - good memories.

I have never had a tool post I couldn't do good work with. In my shop I have Dickson, Aloris, generic QCTP (Aloris style), 4-way in 2 designs, and American rocker. so I speak from experience. Now if you buy very cheap tool holders that don't fit your tool post, well, that's not on Matt.

Your new lathe is a big investment, of course. Enjoy the anticipation.

Last edited:
Wow all of a sudden I don't feel so good... My PM-1236T will be here in 2 months loaded with PM-BXA junk... As far as I know I don't think I can cancel the stuff... K ima go hide and cry now..!
A little deburring and fitting would probably cover 95% of the difference.

I’m a bit confused at this entire dialog. What are you after? You seem to keep digging for confirmation that you may have listened to a sales person rather than doing your own due diligence to make a more informed decision on size and brand of QCTP. If you are worried about your current QCTP selection, call and cancel those components. Or take delivery and then decide if they are acceptable. Either way PM should treat you with good support and make sure you are a satisfied customer. I’m struggling with how to help you here. What do you need?

measure the center and see what I really need,
You can trust Matt 100% that what he recommends will work fine.

I have been using a Phase II BXA piston style since day one and would not call it junk.

Last edited:
down the road decide on either Dorian or Aloris when I have a clue what I am doing...
Sounds like a plan. Your learning experience will bring you to want all kinds of better stuff. It never ends.
Learning the limits of my equipment and discovering work-arounds is great fun for me.

Back