Phase II QCTP. Not what I expected.

@Mr Mike I believe you may be trying to solve a problem that most likely does not exist. It seems that most folks are using BXA on their 12x36 lathes. I believe that there are a lot of members on here that are successfully using BXA on their PM 1236.

If you have not already done so, I would highly recommend purchasing @davidpbest's book Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe.

For about the last 15 years or so, I have been happy with every Phase II product I've bought, and it's a substantial number...tool holders, posts, both piston and wedge, spin indexer, etc. They have seemed as a step above the more or less unbranded import stuff.

Check out the discussions on QCTP cost/benefit trade-offs and sizing on pages 6-11 and 94-97.
I ordered it last Tuesday, still isn't here yet.. I will have look see when it gets here.

The original post I made in this tread was to get a response from COMachinist that said his PM-BXA was junk... Now I feel Its causing the thread to derail and go of topic and will stop here..!

Thanks Mike..

Last edited:
Now I feel Its causing the thread to derail and go of topic and will stop here..!
No worries there, my friend!
I have since moved on from my 10" lathe, but I am still using Chinese tool posts at the moment. I am planning on upgrading in the future, but it is working fine for now. Some more proof that a cheap tool post can get the job done.

I bought a Grizzly piston type AXA QCTP set (T10166) when I bought my lathe. The tool holders that came with it were not the highest quality but they work satisfactorily. Since then, I have bought a half dozen Shars tool holders and I have had no issues with performance with either the tool post or the tool holders.

Were I doing it over, I would pirchase a wedge type tool post instead. Primarily because I believe it would offer a slight edge regarding the repeatability of seating the tool holders. At least on my G0602, I think there would be a negligible improvement it rigidity.

Recent purchases...

Phase II BXA set, including five different holders for $400. The external finish on these is pretty rough in places, but the ground surfaces look nice. The set screws are short, with a cup shape on the contact face. The QCTP action is fine, but certainly not silky smooth by any measure. After reading the bashing on this thread, I'm thinking the kit is overpriced. Oh, well. I'm committed. One question, though, the knurling wheels wobble around a fair bit. Is this normal, to allow them to float and make good surface contact? If needed, I'll bush the wheels to tighten it up.

I also bought some generic holders off eBay. I paid $76 shipped for five holders. The finish on these is better than the Phase II, and the ground surfaces look nice. These holders are much larger than the Phase II's. The set screws are flat bottom, with a so-so finish.

All the holders seem to have a decently milled tool slot.

20230313_191707.jpg
20230313_191649.jpg
20230313_191624.jpg

Last edited:
After ordering a couple different value based brands, Colton from AllIndustrial, shars I have found PM's BXA holders (I'd think all their sizes are similar quality) much nicer quality fit and finish. I have not tested them for repeatability in any way though. Can't speak to their tool post but the holders seem like a great value. I have the Aloris tool post and have 1 of their holders, I personally don't visually see the benefit of spending the $60 vs sub $20 from PM.

A side note, I appreciate the Aloris slotted height adjustment screw and tabbed washer they use. The tabbed washer in the slotted height adjustment screw eliminates any additional rotation when you tighten the locking nut and therefore doesn't mess with the height you just dialed in. So simple too. I'm ordering a batch of their bxa holders and plan to replicate the slot in the HA screw if I can find those washers.

Last edited:
I've polled several of the guys here (in my city) and they like their Phase II tool posts. Offshore, but better fit and finish than average (so they say) I don't own one myself, but I hope this helps.

Back