Picking a mill

Btroj

Registered
Registered
I am pretty much a rank amateur. Never used a mill before. Didn't use a lathe until 4 years or so back when I bought a PM 1236.
Looking strongly at the PM mills for a fall/winter purchase.
I will be doing smaller projects, no production work, and nothing for $.
How do I balance weight, features, and cost?
I can spend 5K or so. A DRO is a must. I do appreciate a fine quality machine.
Need to consider getting it off a truck and into place too so heavier does have a negative to a small extent.
Looking at a PM727 to the PM 833 or 835.
I like the idea of a Taiwan built machine for the inherent quality difference.

What should I be looking at in making a decision? What am I missing?

What you're missing is an objective thought. It seems to me you're hooked on PM for some reason

I can tell you that I am perfectly happy with my G0730 (Floorstanding Knee Mill) too bad they no longer sell it without X-Y drive motors (G0731).
I considered the 6*26 version, but the lack of nose room would have been constraining. I now keep my vise on top of my 10" rotary table, and I am thinking about putting my X-Y table on the rotary table onto the vise, so that I can clamp anything and make it concentric to the rotary table or spindle.

Is $5K the entire budget or the budget for the machine?
You will need::
Vise,
Indicators, DI, DTI, coaxial,
clamps,
collets,
cutters, slot, dovetail, chamfer
spindexer,
rotary table,
Drill Chuck,
End Mills,
Ball Mills,
Drill bits,
Taps,
and on and on.....

Even being very frugal I have spent $1K in the last year alone on tooling for the mill.

Seems logical to buy another PM machine since you already have one of their lathes. Matt takes care of his customers
If you can afford aTaiwan machine I would, the fit and finish is better
mark

If space allows, you could pick up a nice, used full-size vertical mill (9x42) with DRO and tooling for that kind of money. Mass equals rigidity and there's no substitute for rigidity. Whatever you get will eventually be too small, it's just a question of how soon.

I hauled my Kent 9x42 with a rented lift-gate truck, then moved it across a plywood on dirt floor, up a ramp and across a VERY rough concrete floor using pipe rollers, pry bar and come-along, mostly without help. It's not as bad as it seems. You only have to move it once (hopefully).

Choosing a machine to purchase is the most simple decision that you will ever make.

A short list of requirements would narrow it down quickly.

Travel length in each axis. A machine with enough travel to make the parts desired
Spindle speed, choose a machine with spindle capability within the range of parts, materials and operations that are needed for the work that you are planning.
Speed of motion, choose a machine that will do the required work in a time period that is acceptable.

If you can not find what you need at a cost that you will pay simply buy a machine that you will pay for and have at it, problem solved.

Why not used? Is your heart set on a bench top? I’m not sure where you’re located you might be able to find something around the 3-4K mark with a vice, DRO and some tooling. I had a rong fu style mill for a long time and was super unhappy with it!!!! I used it as a glorified drill press most of the time. I think I paid around 2k for it ten years ago I kept an eye out for 9x42 Bridgeport style on Craigslist for about a year ended up with a like new ARCA 9x42 with a DRO for 4K hell it still has the clear plastic film over the nameplates.

I am pretty much a rank amateur. Never used a mill before. Didn't use a lathe until 4 years or so back when I bought a PM 1236.
Looking strongly at the PM mills for a fall/winter purchase.
I will be doing smaller projects, no production work, and nothing for $.
How do I balance weight, features, and cost?
I can spend 5K or so. A DRO is a must. I do appreciate a fine quality machine.
Need to consider getting it off a truck and into place too so heavier does have a negative to a small extent.
Looking at a PM727 to the PM 833 or 835.
I like the idea of a Taiwan built machine for the inherent quality difference.

What should I be looking at in making a decision? What am I missing?

I had PM 25 bench top mill and did a lot of things with it. However I out grew it. I found a used knee mill and haven’t looked back.

If you’re patient you will find a good used knee mill. By the time you get a bench top mill loaded you can find the knee type mill for the same outlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am all for a new machine versus a used one , unless you are 100% certain on your ability to evaluate a used machine .
I looked at a ton of used mills before I bought my little g0704 and quite frankly I didn't find a single one id have put the effort into hauling home

$5000 will for sure get you into a 8x30 size mill , and most of us out there wont ever need anything bigger .

I am sure to get flamed for this , but you are going to hear a constant barrage of ... you need this and that just the second you buy a mill so save half your money for tooling .
well I cry bull crap at that , you have a lathe so you can tram things in with stuff you already have , maybe not to nasa precision but for sure close enough to suit everyday needs , so don't waste money on crap yet .

do save a few bucks for a decent vise , some end mills , collet set , parallels and a drill chuck . you aren't likely need anymore then that for a good while . and then you can buy things you need as you need them , the advantage is you wont be wasting money on things you may not ever need .

Come to the Dark Side Btroj. I agree with MrWhoopee and Killswitch above. You will never regret having a full size mill. If it needs a little work, there is no better way to get to know your machine, and get a ground level understanding of its capabilities, and yours. For 5k you can get a very nice BP, or clone, and all the tooling you would initially require. Take a little time here, and watch some Keith Fenner, or some of the other you tube guys to get a feeling for what to look for in a used machine, and start shopping Craigs list, eqip. auctions, etc. for a nice machine. Sometimes worth traveling a little if you have to, to get what you want. Good hunting, which ever route you go. Mike

Back