Picking a mill

Not sure if this helps the OP but thought I'd share on the general topic. I am also a complete newbie. In fact I'm getting my new shop wired up for my very first machine to arrive, a PM 1340gt lathe.

That being said I was talking to Matt at QMT about mills and he mentioned he's working with the factories on a Taiwanese machine in the size class of the PM-25. Maybe coming out next year. Sounds like maybe that's both not in the time frame and possibly under sized for the OP's interests but thought I'd share that for others who may be looking. I have to admit, the way Matt has taken care of me so far I would definitely lean towards him but like the OP I would go with Taiwanese vs. mainland China stuff which is backed up by everything I've learned while working with Matt and with several machinist friends. How the experience with the 1340gt goes when it arrives in a couple weeks will also determine a lot (for me).

On the mill hunt my situation may be a bit different because I have a wonderful neighbor with a nice big old BP monster in his shop I can use anytime. I'm unclear yet if the size of a bench top will be an issue for me & what I want to do with it. I'm waiting to see what that new mill from Matt looks like. While I am, keeping my eyes open for the older BP machines. Just saw two of them down in the SF Bay Area this last week, but like the OP I can't tell if what I was seeing for just under 4K was a complete restoration project or not. I'm not knocking a restoration or the wisdom of those who can do that. It's just not for me. FWIW it isn't always hard to tell an old machine is junk. I looked at another BP that was offered for 1800. It had all the signs of "stay away". Personally I'm leaning towards a new, Taiwanese bench top but we'll see how that plays out.

Back