Picking a mill

I would consider used except I don't see that sort of stuff listed on CL in the Omaha area. I also have no clue what to look for and don't generally have the temperament to fix older equipment.
I will likely go new as I want someig to use, not a project. Might be why I don't drive old cars?

Tooling needs are part of keeps me looking to save some on the mill. I know that I will need a fair bit to star- drill chuck, vise, some end mills, a flycutter, and Lord knows what else.

I would consider used except I don't see that sort of stuff listed on CL in the Omaha area. I also have no clue what to look for and don't generally have the temperament to fix older equipment.
I will likely go new as I want someig to use, not a project. Might be why I don't drive old cars?

Tooling needs are part of keeps me looking to save some on the mill. I know that I will need a fair bit to star- drill chuck, vise, some end mills, a flycutter, and Lord knows what else.

I felt the same because even the Charlotte area has more activity CL for machine tools can be a desert.

Like I posted earlier I had a PM 25. I seriously looked at the largest bench mill that PM has because the company was good to me. After optioning the machine out with power feeds and everything I wanted in a mill. It was going to set me back close to $4000.

I came across a used Bridgeport at a dealer on CL but he had sold it but had another one in another a different location, I was planning to look at it when my Lagun came up on CL.

Long story short a local machine repair company (one man operation) took the machine for the cost of the repair work he did ( American Airlines had it in their shop in CLT) because they was replacing it with a CNC mill. He checked it out and put it in CL.

I purchased it and paid local riggers to shoehorn it my small shop. I’ve added a DRO and X axis power feed ( both items were removed at AA by a machinist) and couldn’t be happier. Yes I have $ 5500 total in the mill, moving, DRO, power feed, and phase converter. But I have a mill that will last me for my lifetime.

3 things to do if you buy used. 1 visual look at ways table you can tell a lot by that. Scarring or idiot marks can show poor maintenance. 2 check backlash by changing direction again this is easy. 3 make sure the machine is under power so you can hear and feel the spindle run. Vibration or noise can tell you a lot.

If all that’s good then you should be safe. So I’m firmly in the camp of waiting for a full size mill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vote is for a used full sized mill also.

Pretty much where I cam from when I upgraded my mill from a bench top type to a knee mill. I did checkout a few used Lagun FTV-2 that were being sold by a local shop, beast of machines. But the mechanical variable speed head was noisy and needed to be rebuilt and the axis drives were not working. At $3500 not bad if you wanted to refurbish them, but I just didn't want to rebuild the drive and probably would have been a total of 5K with parts and new axis drives. You can get a new mill without the headaches. It also depends if you want to move a 2500lb machine or something 1/2 that weight. I ended up with a new full size Taiwanese knee mill (LCM-42), and couldn't have been happier (other than I now need to move it to a new house which is going to be a real pain). I do not really care if it is old iron or new iron, both can be an excellent choice, and I will wear out long before any of these machines wear out.

I feel the PM-833T and 835S would be on the short list in the price range noted. Price wise they are very close if you include the stand for the 833T, the 833T has longer travel dimensions in the X, Y, Z axis so it is more a matter of preference in style of machine. The 935 mill is also very popular, on the single phase I would go with the TV, if 3 phase then TS and add a VFD. All have had positive reviews, but when I purchase a machine it is not only the features but the warranty, parts and service/technical support post sale. The PM machines do have some of the longest warranty duration, in particular the Taiwanese machines and the service experience you can read in other posts. I am planning my next machine purchase from QMT.

Last edited:
Pretty much where I cam from when I upgraded my mill from a bench top type to a knee mill. I did checkout a few used Lagun FTV-2 that were being sold by a local shop, beast of machines. But the mechanical variable speed head was noisy and needed to be rebuilt and the axis drives were not working. At $3500 not bad if you wanted to refurbish them, but I just didn't want to rebuild the drive and probably would have been a total of 5K with parts and new axis drives. You can get a new mill without the headaches. It also depends if you want to move a 2500lb machine or something 1/2 that weight. I ended up with a new full size Taiwanese knee mill (LCM-42), and couldn't have been happier (other than I now need to move it to a new house which is going to be a real pain). I do not really care if it is old iron or new iron, both can be an excellent choice, and I will wear out long before any of these machines wear out.

I feel the PM-833T and 835S would be on the short list in the price range noted. Price wise they are very close if you include the stand for the 833T, the 833T has longer travel dimensions in the X, Y, Z axis so it is more a matter of preference in style of machine. The 935 mill is also very popular, on the single phase I would go with the TV, if 3 phase then TS and add a VFD. All have had positive reviews, but when I purchase a machine it is not only the features but the warranty, parts and service/technical support post sale. The PM machines do have some of the longest warranty duration, in particular the Taiwanese machines and the service experience you can read in other posts. I am planning my next machine purchase from QMT.

Your correct on the Lagun FT-2. Because that is what I have shoehorned in my small shop. Like I said before I paid to have my mill moved the guy charged me $600 to move it here and sit it in its location in my shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am pretty much a rank amateur.

That pretty much describes me. I started with a small Grizzly G0704 and then upgraded to PM45M-CNC. I also got a nice Lathe from Grizzly. Not too many used machines where I live but I have been VERY happy with my PM45 benchtop Mill. I have had to replace the CNC Motion Controller but that was due to me wanting features that the original did not support. I sometimes look at the large Knee Mills but so far only one thing I have wanted to work on was bigger than the Y travel on the PM45 and I was easily able to work it out in two setups. I know my Mill is not as rigid or big or powerful as all of the bigger system but that has not stopped me from having a great time and working on everything I wanted to. So, don't discount Benchtop Mills out of hand.

That pretty much describes me. I started with a small Grizzly G0704 and then upgraded to PM45M-CNC. I also got a nice Lathe from Grizzly. Not too many used machines where I live but I have been VERY happy with my PM45 benchtop Mill. I have had to replace the CNC Motion Controller but that was due to me wanting features that the original did not support. I sometimes look at the large Knee Mills but so far only one thing I have wanted to work on was bigger than the Y travel on the PM45 and I was easily able to work it out in two setups. I know my Mill is not as rigid or big or powerful as all of the bigger system but that has not stopped me from having a great time and working on everything I wanted to. So, don't discount Benchtop Mills out of hand.

First of all I hope anyone didn’t think I was discounting bench top mills. Just presenting my opinion. The larger bench top mills are just as capable as a knee mill. The only drawback is maybe some loss of distance between the quill and the table.

A quality product like PM is a viable option I just decided to go the way I did and glad I have the mill I use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries on my side. I was just seeing a lot of recommendation for larger mills and wanted to share my thoughts.

I bought a PM935TS.

It runs great. The ways and screws are buttery smooth. They feel like ballscrews. Its a great machine.

It has tons of horsepower, plenty of room to work and is very simple. I'm very happy with it.

I am totally in the buy used camp for myself, although I admit to getting drool all over the Grizzly, PM, Acer, Webb, Atrump and any number of other websites. I wound up with a 60+ year old B&S and a 50+ year old Bridgeport. But that's not for everyone, including you. So, if I were you, I'd get the Precision 835 and not look back.

Except that's not what I would do. The time to stretch on the purchase is on the mill. The tooling and accessories will come with time, you will make the money available for small purchases. But, when the part won't fit in the mill or is too heavy, or there is not enough rigidity, then that's that. So, sticking with the PM theme, I'd abuse the hell out of the "or so" part of $5000 and get a step pulley 949.

Back