Pin Gage Set & Rust Prevention?

Guys while on the pin gage subject and these being minus where can a person find some replacement pins?I am missing the .500 this being a minus it would be .4999 I guessThis is an off brand set so I did google the name Hangda

Do NOT sit them on a concrete floor even if inside . I had a set stored that that bottoms rusted up . The tops were fine so I never checked them .

A while back, I "invested" in a cheap set of used prevoiusly owned Jo Blocks. They were in a wooden case with a few blocks not wrapped in paper. I purchased a pack of the VCI papers from Amazon, to cover up the rest. I needed one size for one job, so didn't spend a bunch on the set. The papers were 4X4, a thousand to a pack. I figured since I had spent the money for a set, I would see them all protected.

I've been interested in this thread as I recently found a used set of Jo-blocks. A bit of searching turned up this set of pages on use, care and maintenance:

In part, it says:

2) Keep steel blocks coated with a rust preventative oil such as Starrett M-1 when not in use.
It is recommended that if the gages are going to be stored overnight or be taken out of use,
that they be wiped all over with a chamois dampened with a rust preventative oil such as
Starrett M-1. Use the handling procedure as above, and do not touch the blocks during
handling or placing them in their case.

3) Before use, we recommend cleaning the gages with mineral spirits. Mineral spirits leaves a
slight oily film which can offer short term corrosion protection while the blocks are in use.
(The slight oily film left by the mineral spirits will not affect the use of the block.)

Cleaning blocks with alcohol is acceptable, but may leave the blocks so clean they may be
susceptible to corrosion. Also alcohol is a greater fire hazard than mineral spirits.

If you follow their recommendation and clean the gage with mineral spirits before use, then it seems to me that it doesn't matter what oil is used for protection. It is going to be cleaned away. I couldn't easily find a supplier in Canada or a price for the Starrett M-1 "All Purpose Lubricant". I think it would cost significantly more than I paid for the blocks! So I'm going to wipe them down with a tiny amount of light oil and I'll try to remember to clean them before use. I need to find some time to go through all 81 blocks in the set.

Craig

I wipe my tools with Fluid Film on a leather chamois cloth. It goes a very long way, doesn't discolor metals and is easy enough to wipe off. I keep the cloth in a ziplock bag. Many guys use it for guns, cars and farm implements too. It's lanolin, a natural wax from sheeps wool and its pretty much weatherproof. Never seen any rust on anything I've used it on.

Yes lanolin is one of the best rust protections you can get. I use Lanox MX4 from the makers of Inox. A friend uses it in his shop servicing outboard motors for use at sea, he says it's the best.

I always have a few cloths in the shop lightly wetted with it and use them to wipe down my tools. I always spray some on lathe bed when packing up. after 2.5 years everything still bright and shiny.

E N Tool in Stoney Creek has the Starrett M1 for $9.99 a can (Canadian Funds).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E N Tool in Stoney Creek has the Starrett M1 for $9.99 a can (Canadian Funds).
Thanks! Never heard of that store before and they don't have much of a web presence. I'm planning to head down that way tomorrow so if time allows I think I'll stop and have a look!

Much appreciated.

Craig

Back