Pin Puller

dirty tools

Active User
Registered
I am working on my Hummer (H1) the tire inflation system.
there is a spindle extension (a hollow pin) it is about 5/8"dia. and 1"long half ( 1/2" exposed)
'with a 7/16" thru hole, is pressed into the out put shaft in the geared hub that a seal rides on.
The pin is very hard and smooth (chrome plated) I have not been able to tap it (tap breaks due to hardness of the pin).
I am thinking of some how make a puller that I can tighten onto the outside of the pin then have the out side of the puller threaded so I can tighten a nut that will push the pin out.
I think the inside of the tool needs to be tapered so it will grip onto the pin, then the outside taped with straight threads,

How can I put a taper on the tool with threads for tightening it onto the part?

Pipe threads are tapered.
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to remove this spindle extension?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to remove this spindle extension?

I am not sure if he wants to cut the 1/2" off or not. If it was mine I think I would take to a good auto parts store and ask for a replacement that will fit his needs. Air pressure parts I don't like to mess with. Neither do the manufactures want to be sued if something happens.

The same with small propane tanks used for camp stoves. My brother-in-law used a bunch of them years ago, so I decided to drain them off before recycled them. That little bleed-off valve the looks like a tire valve are not the same. A tire valve tool doesn't fit. I ended up hooking a torch head to each tank and burned off any remaining propane. Then carefully holding down that relief valve after each tank had cooled down. If I remember I punched in each relief valve in to show it was empty. If they weren't rusty to begin with I had a re-charger that I easily could refill each one.

I am not sure if he wants to cut the 1/2" off or not. If it was mine I think I would take to a good auto parts store and ask for a replacement that will fit his needs. Air pressure parts I don't like to mess with. Neither do the manufactures want to be sued if something happens.

The same with small propane tanks used for camp stoves. My brother-in-law used a bunch of them years ago, so I decided to drain them off before recycled them. That little bleed-off valve the looks like a tire valve are not the same. A tire valve tool doesn't fit. I ended up hooking a torch head to each tank and burned off any remaining propane. Then carefully holding down that relief valve after each tank had cooled down. If I remember I punched in each relief valve in to show it was empty. If they weren't rusty to begin with I had a re-charger that I easily could refill each one.

Can you provide some more info about the recharger ?

I am working on my Hummer (H1) the tire inflation system.
there is a spindle extension (a hollow pin) it is about 5/8"dia. and 1"long half ( 1/2" exposed)
'with a 7/16" thru hole, is pressed into the out put shaft in the geared hub that a seal rides on.
The pin is very hard and smooth (chrome plated) I have not been able to tap it (tap breaks due to hardness of the pin).
I am thinking of some how make a puller that I can tighten onto the outside of the pin then have the out side of the puller threaded so I can tighten a nut that will push the pin out.
I think the inside of the tool needs to be tapered so it will grip onto the pin, then the outside taped with straight threads,

How can I put a taper on the tool with threads for tightening it onto the part?

You might be able to install a clamp collar on the pin & pry it out with a screw driver or other tool.

Maybe a collet style pin puller, the ones with a slide hammer attached. You should be able to get one at the an auto parts store at no cost (tool loan). Might be wise to put a small piece of solid stock inside the bushing before attaching the tool. Mike

Back