Pin Puller

Can you provide some more info about the recharger ?

I found it at Harbor Freight several years ago, what it does attaches to a full size propane tank then you attach a smaller tank. What I bought is called "EZ FILL PROPANE COUPLER" Walmart probably carries it now as well as sporting stores. It is one piece that screws on 20-40 gallon tanks. Trying to read the fine print. You attach this coupler to the big tank and then wrench tighten it. Screw on the smaller tank hand tight. You use the main tank valve to control the flow. It says it take about minute to refill each tank. http://maccoupler.com/

I just did a Google search and found several different brands and prices that do the same thing. There is even a YouTube video.

Can you provide some more info about the recharger ?
I made a recharger from an old torch fitting. I have a tank from a taxi that had both liquid and vapor pull-offs. You need to pull off liquid propane. The problem with recharging is you need to have a pressure difference to transfer propane. To accomplish this, I put the tank to be recharged in the freezer so the vapor pressure was reduced which created the pressure differential. It might take two iterations to fill the tank. Another caution is that you can overfill a tank which could cause it to burst when it warmed up. The empty tank should be weighed prior to filling and the net weight listed on the tank should not be exceeded! Finally, I believe that federal law prohibits transporting a refilled tank so the tank should only be used on the premises that it was refilled on.

Nowdays, I don't go through the bother. Rather than using the 14 oz tanks, I use the 16 oz tanks which are often used for camp stoves. They are often less expensive than the 14 oz. tanks and you get an extra two ounzes of propane.

Edit: The sentence "As I recall, the newer 20 lb. tanks have an internal safety mechanism that prevents flow if the tank is upturned." was deleted from the above post as the mechanism actually pertains to overfilling rather than overturning. The 20lb.cylinders can be inverted to discharge liquid propane rather than gaseous propane.

Last edited:
Finally, I believe that federal law prohibits transporting a refilled tank
It may prohibit shipping refilled tanks in commercial interstate transport. The Feds have no jurisdiction over you driving around town.

Federal Law forbids transportation if refilled – penalty up to $500,000 fine and five years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124)
It may prohibit shipping refilled tanks in commercial interstate transport. The Feds have no jurisdiction over you driving around town.
DOT-39 NRC 232/290 (non refillable propane) tanks are required to carry the verbiage "Federal Law forbids transportation if refilled – penalty up to $500,000 fine and five years imprisonment (49 U.S.C. 5124)". The 49 USC 5124 pertains to the penalty, not the "Federal Law". Like a lot of other people, I'm sure, I had taken the verbiage at face value. A search for the "Federal Law" has so far been unsuccessful although one source stated that it dealt with commercial transportation. The same individual had also searched for any case of criminal prosecution for violation of the "Federal Law" and had not found any.

On another note, I had stated in post #12 that I recalled that the 20lb. tanks had overturn protection. It is actually overfill protection so the 20 lb tanks can in fact be inverted to discharge liquid propane rather than propane gas.

I am working on my Hummer (H1) the tire inflation system.
there is a spindle extension (a hollow pin) it is about 5/8"dia. and 1"long half ( 1/2" exposed)
'with a 7/16" thru hole, is pressed into the out put shaft in the geared hub that a seal rides on.
The pin is very hard and smooth (chrome plated) I have not been able to tap it (tap breaks due to hardness of the pin).
I am thinking of some how make a puller that I can tighten onto the outside of the pin then have the out side of the puller threaded so I can tighten a nut that will push the pin out.
I think the inside of the tool needs to be tapered so it will grip onto the pin, then the outside taped with straight threads,

How can I put a taper on the tool with threads for tightening it onto the part?

Is this pin in a blind or through hole?
If its a through hole, can you get a long Suitable Drift on the back and tap / press it out?
If a blind hole, pack with grease, fit a "piston" inside and whack it with a hammer - it could pump out hydraulically?
Otherwise, an inside-out collet? slit sleeve with a finely tapered bore to fit in your pin, narrow end out, bolt tightening into an expander cone, socket over the hollow pin, collet and cone then run the bolt in. If it's tight, a thrust-bearing between socket (or similar) and sturdy washer under the bolt head may help a lot, you'll be delivering torque to the thread, not friction.

the only thing I've ever managed to get out in your circumstances (pulling on a pressed-in pin) was one of my front teeth...

Dave H. (the other one)

dirty tools,
A picture or even hand sketch would help a bunch.
-brino

Don't know if this will help without seeing the situation. I have made pin pullers beforePin Puller.jpg . Simple but very effective. See drawing

If the pin is hollow and is in a blind hole find a pin that is a very close fit. Fill the hole with grease and hit the pin with a hammer if you have a good seal you should be able to move the pin.

Back