Pin Puller

hey dirty tools,

I am still not sure of what I am looking at.
In the picture with the tap, yep that is a tap in the centre of the frame, but we need to see the tube itself. What is it pressed into?

In the other picture I assume that is some puller you created, but I am not sure what parts are the puller, and what is to be pulled!?!!?
Two of the parts seem to have a slot that could be meant for a special wrench, but are those part of your puller or part of the job?

Tell me if I am wrong, but I believe the idea to push it out hydraulicly with grease (suggests by two users above) is a non-starter because:
1) although it is "blind" meaning you cannot get to the backside to simply press the tube out, it is not "sealed" as there are some air channels back there, and
2) even if you could seal it, you would then have your tire inflation pathways full of grease
This is part of a inflate/deflate "on the fly" system. Is that right?
like this:
http://www.lynchhummer.com/componentpages/CTI.html

I am honestly trying to help, I am just not yet sure of the nature of the problem.
Sorry if it's just me being dense.

-brino

I agree, brino. More info == good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks as though the pin puller I drew will work. Just suit the dimensions to the pin and area you have to work with. Make the pusher bolt holes push against the pillow block just outside the outer bearing race. I've pulled Jake brake studs and other large diesel engine studs with that style puller that a slide hammer Collette puller would slip off. Make the pin hole just large enough to fit the pin. Takes longer to describe than to make.

Thanks for everybody's help and suggestions

I decided to machine out a 1" X 4" bolt to the exposed spindle extension then install 2 each 1/4" set screws to lock the bolt onto the extension.
I will make a sleeve have a nut push the part out (hope fully).
It works It will save me 1/2 day per tire to. replace the spindle extensions.
As soon as I get the spindle extensions and seals replaced I will post some pictures (YES I know with out pictures it NEVER happned)

I made the puller although it need some adjustments (set screws need to be larger and grade 8 due to the force required to remove the spindle extension).

1) spacer with slots for set screw clearance.
2) 1" bolt with head cut off and other end bored out to fit spindle extension and set screw holes drilled and taped (needs to be larger due to forces applied to remove spindle extension).
3) strong back required to press new spindle extension into correct depth.

IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1602.JPG

Nice! I never thought two set screws tightened onto that slippery, hard tube would have worked.
Way to prove me wrong :encourage:
-brino

It took me 3 hours to complete the task.
It saved me about 4 hours it I had to remove the output shaft then R and R the spindle extension and seal plus out put shaft seal and the hassle of pre loading the bearings.

Back