Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

I'm also very tempted to repaint the tool chest. It is red. I'd like to match it to the color scheme of the lathe.
But, boy would it be a pain in the butt.
There is no way that any paint I can spray will match the durability of the powder coat or baked enamal (whatever it is) finish on the box.

I don't suppose it would be terrible if the insides of the drawers remain red, but the idea of that rubs my fur backwards. I suppose I could sand all the outside surfaces and just use aerosol spray enamel.

Never mind me. I'm just thinking out loud.

Franko, let us know when you "Get the call" or email telling you that your lathe is in route. Looking forward to seeing one in a shop and being setup. Hope it's not a very long wait now. I'm just as excited as you are.

I'm also very tempted to repaint the tool chest. It is red. I'd like to match it to the color scheme of the lathe.
But, boy would it be a pain in the butt.
There is no way that any paint I can spray will match the durability of the powder coat or baked enamal (whatever it is) finish on the box.

I don't suppose it would be terrible if the insides of the drawers remain red, but the idea of that rubs my fur backwards. I suppose I could sand all the outside surfaces and just use aerosol spray enamel.

Never mind me. I'm just thinking out loud.

Franco...

I have two PM machines in my shop... and when I built my stands, wanted a 'blue' color that would go well with Matt's color scheme.
Here is a suggestion: Go to your local big-box home store or hardware store, and get a quart of Rustoleum 'Royal Blue'... and just brush it on. If you practice a little with a decent quality brush, you can get it to go on like butter, the brush lines to vanish, and it not run. IMO, while it is not a match to "PM dark blue"... it is a fair compromise that looks good.

I also used Rustoleum 'almond' as the off white color... it is definitely less white and more 'creamy' colored than Matt's off white... yet again it is a decent compromise... And they are both stock colors off the shelf. BTW: The Rustoleum Almond... was almost a perfect match to the creamy color of my Jet 7x12 bandsaw.

Thanks, John. Almond was what I was considering. If I don't paint the inside of the drawers, I feel that almond and red won't be as garish as blue and red. There are some nice boxes that can be purchased in a nice shade of blue, but cabinets that big are humorously expensive.

I started fabrication on the stand today. I ordered the steel and picked it up this afternoon.

The first fabrication was on the left-side iron wheel brackets. Each one is 2.75" x2" x .25". I cut 6" blanks on the bandsaw and marked the holes and the relief radiuses on each end.
Then I ground the radius on each end of the blanks with a flap wheel mounted on my bench grinder.

wheel bracket grind_0437.JPG

I drilled the axle holes indexing on the outboard end and ground the radius smooth on the belt grinder.

wheel brackets_0444.JPG

Then I cut the blanks in two and clamped them the mill and faced the inboard ends to 2.75" so they'd all be the same length and square so the axles will line up.

milling brackets_0445.JPG

So, now the wheel trucks are fabricated and just about ready to weld.
I only had one 1/2" bolt with enough shoulder to provide a bearing surface.
The wheel assembly laying down has the right bolt. I'll trim the threads to proper length.

wheel+brackets_0447.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, John. Thanks for looking.

It is amazing what a small pile $100 worth of steel is, nowadays.

Thanks, John. Thanks for looking.

It is amazing what a small pile $100 worth of steel is, nowadays.

Sadly... one does not get much for the $$$ anymore... price inflation.

I buy most of my metal from a local 're-sale' shop. They supply specialty shops, and the left-overs they sell by the #.

Are you buying the basic lathe or the tooled up version? I'm looking at this same lathe and Grizzlies G4003 and G4003G, what conviced you? I like the varible speed I assume it's a VFD, I don't like the spindle mount and I would like a lower minimum speed. the G4003G with stand is $3550 shipped the PM is $3087 shipped with stand I'm kinda leaning to the G4003G. Did you read the manual about to make your chuck (if not concentric) run concentric that kinda scared me.
I've never owned either and am trying to get the most for my money.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "tooled up," Big Rack. I'm buying the basic lathe as sold by Quality Machine Tools and none of the optional equipment. You can see it here: http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1127-VF.html

It claims the low speed is 50 rpm. That's pretty slow.

I chose it because of the many good things said about QTs PM machines by others on this forum and I liked what I saw on QT's website. I was thinking about the Grizzly G0750 gunsmith's lathe and looking at a Grizzly G0752 and a Sieg SC-6 before I discovered the PM 1127.

I've heard some people express concern about the spindle mount, but none specific saying there are problems with this lathe. It is what it is. I guess I'll find out if I don't like it. I can't imagine it is any worse than the threaded spindle on my G4000, and that hasn't caused me any problems that I'm aware of. Honestly, I don't do very critical high precision work my tools. I have no plans to build a 1/4 scale Allison engine or any watches or clocks.

Other factors were that I haven't needed a much longer lathe than my G4000 9 x 19, the 1.5" spindle bore, the variable speed, power cross feed, mechanical switches which give me lots of options if the electronics give me any problems in the future, and the weight. I need to be able to move it in my shop and I don't have room for a longer lathe.

I don't believe that bigger is always better. There could be times when I might need a semi truck, but I don't want to drive one around all the time, just in case. I drive a Honda CRV. If need to carry more than it will hold, I have a utility trailer. If I need something bigger than that, I'll rent it.

The G4000 has served me very well for the last 10 years. There were a couple times I wished it was 2" longer and had more speeds. And, I've always wanted a large spindle bore, though when I purchased it, I didn't know from spindle bores. The PM1127 meets and exceeds all those requirements and much more, for my requirements.

Last edited:
Back