PM-1236-T 12″x36″ Ultra Precision Lathe-Good Machine?

Here a drawing I had made for a steel plate I used for my PM 1236-T:

Attachments

• lathe plate sheet.PDF
    77.3 KB · Views: 331
Greetings All,

Speaking of the PM-1236T lathe, i will be receiving mine soon and will need to build a sturdy metal bench for it. Does anyone have plans (hole placement, width, length, etc.) they would be willing to share?
You might want to check out the stand I designed for my PM1340 - click here. At that link, you'll find detailed plans and photos of the build. It has proven to be a terrific stand and I really like having the lathe on a C-channel so the chip plan can be removed. Photo:

IMG_7154.jpeg

It's also been copied by another member here ( ahazi )with some size modifications to employ a HF tool chest which is readily available. You might want to DM Arial about his stand too. He did a great job.

There are a few advantages of the stand I designed:
  • you can put drawer storage below the chip pan which is a hell of a lot more convenient than a door with shelves behind.
  • the lathe bed can be leveled with you standing upright on your two feet instead of wallowing around on the floor.
  • the chip pan is removable for cleanup.
  • it has space for a medium-sized electronics enclosure for VFD and other controls, for coolant system, DRO mounting, etc.
  • it has provisions for a tool rack on the back and two swing-away lift-off trays for common tools.
  • it sits off the floor just enough to be able to get a pallet jack under the whole affair.
  • total cost for the materials was under $400, but you have to be able to weld and paint.
More on my overall lathe build was covered in this thread. Good luck with your new lathe.

Attachments

• IMG_7154.jpeg
    IMG_7154.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 416
Thank you all for the drawings and photos, they are outstanding!

Titanium, what is the 4 inch hole in the drawings used for?
Also, the drawing indicates 2 additional holes next to the 3/4 inch holes on the tail stock end; what are those used for?

I thank you in advance.

So how is the 1236t?? Can you give us any feedback at this point?? I am dreaming of upgrading my current 9x20 lathe. I've basically decided on either the 1236 w/preffered package or 1236t. There is a Whole Lotta bang for your buck with the standard 1236 coupled with the preffered package. It's probably the most logical choice for my needs but deep down I really want a Tiawanese machine. Of course my dream lathe would be the 1340gt, but I don't need the added capacity nor the hardened gears (ie: can't afford it). That's what makes the 1236t so attractive, it's basically my dream lathe but more within reach.

Oh well, it's all a dream right now anyway but hope I can upgrade someday..

Chuck, did you ever upgrade?

Dhal22, i have not yet received the lathe; will keep you posted when it arrives!
You are correct though, the Taiwanese machines consistently get much higher marks than the Chinese models.
Which was one of the factors i used in deciding to go with the 'T' model (at PM, the 'T' in the model name means Taiwan).

Baja, the four inch hole is for the drain in the drip pan. The additional holes on the Tailstock end are for fine thread bolts I use to straighten the ways. I am pretty sure I described my goofy system in my thread on setting up the lathe. If you can’t find info in the thread let me know.

Back