PM 1440TL Getting Started With your New Lathe - Basic Operations, What to Practice and First Project Ideas

BladesIIB

https://www.youtube.com/c/BladesIIB
H-M Platinum Supporter
I had a request on my YouTube channel for a video on what to do with your lathe after you first get it set up, wired up, broke in and operational? This is what I came up with and based it on what I have shown my kids to let them practice and get started. There are other videos out there and I say watch them all, can always pick up new ideas, so no claims mine is better than others out there. Just addressing a request and figured others on this forum may appreciate it.

The Video starts with basic understanding of the main pieces and gearboxes, what all the controls do, then moves into practicing making some chips by running the power feeds, seeing where to have your hands etc. Gets into cutting a basic thread, not for size, just to practice engaging and disengaging the half nuts. From there making a simple chess piece as a first project to practice some freehand contouring. There are also plans included to make a better first project, a screw jack to use for a mill or drill press set ups.

Lathe Operation - 0 to 14:25
Practice Feeding, making first chips - 14:25 to 28:15
Basic Threading Operation - 28:15 to 37:35
Freehand Contouring - 37:35 to 53:00 (making a chess pawn freehand)
Project Idea - 53:45-54:10 (screw jacks, other plans for similar in this thread)

These time points are in the YouTube video description and will jump you right to that point in the video.

What would other recommend you do in the first few hours with your new lathe?

Last edited:
Thanks David, those are great looking jack screws for sure and some great project ideas. I need to make a tool height setting gizmo, so may be next on my list. Turning around to use the tail stock every time gets old fast and spoils a good set up most often right when you don't want to.

I’m building some machinist jacks and came across the design on this page. You may be interested in some of the other projects on that page as well.

For setting the tool heights, for now I am using my vernier height gage. I haven’t gotten around to making one yet. Since I am using carbide for most of my tools, hopefully I won’t have to set them very often.

That is a great link to project ideas, thanks!

Awesome ideas there.
Nice job on the video Bud. There were a few errors but meh.... It was nicely done.

Nice video. Couple of suggestions. First, I would suggest breaking the off the first part on basic lathe orientation and operation as a sepparate video. And let the project itself be stand alone. This will do two things, one sorten the view times to better match modern attention spans, and two, allow those who want to just watch one part or the other do that. In the project video, be careful of camera angles - try to set your camera in a position where it can see the chips being cut. The first section is good for showing controll operation, but you can't see the cutting because it's blocked by the tool post. A higher camera position would let you see both. The camera postion at ~ 32 minutes is great - better than many other videos I've seen.
Good work! Probably would be worth putting a link to your channel on this thread so we don't have to hunt for you. :)

Last edited:
7milesup, thanks for checking it out. Feel free to PM me and share. I do make these videos unscripted and they likely have a few fumbles. However, if I am doing something fundamentally wrong I always welcome feedback.

ArmyDoc- appreciate that feedback. With it already posted and being viewed I would rather not pull it down. What I will do is go into the description and put the time markers for each section for those who want to easily jump around. I will add those in this post and the YouTube description.

Also, thank you for your edit and feedback on camera angles. Always working to improve those. Had some issue with maintaining focus on the threading portion and will continue getting this better. I was using a go pro, which was great for wide angle but not so much for close up. This one is not so wide and will continue to get as much in the shot as I can. Time stamps going in above and here is a link to my channel for reference. Feel free to subscribe and be alerted when I post new videos. Shooting for 1 a week, had a weather delay for this one and should get another one out Saturday morning on schedule.

BladesIIB YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgKzuKAS_3nlzHdp-I9gEg

Last edited:
Nicely done, it might be worthwhile to see if QMT/Matt might review and have a section of videos or links that others would be helpful for others wanting to learn more about their machines. Similar to DRO Pros has a section on installs as well as their own install video's. Got to love the TL lathe series, just a beautiful lathe and very capable. They are solid and very quiet.

Back