PM 1440TL Getting Started With your New Lathe - Basic Operations, What to Practice and First Project Ideas

That is a great link to project ideas, thanks!
You’re welcome. I printed out several of the drawings for future projects. For the machinist jacks, I downsized to use 1.5” stock since that can fit through my spindle.

I thought it was a really good video. When I read that you do them unscripted I was really impressed.

Nicely done, it might be worthwhile to see if QMT/Matt might review and have a section of videos or links that others would be helpful for others wanting to learn more about their machines. Similar to DRO Pros has a section on installs as well as their own install video's. Got to love the TL lathe series, just a beautiful lathe and very capable. They are solid and very quiet.
mksj - Thank you, I will be sure to share with Matt. Yes, I do love running this machine.

I thought it was a really good video. When I read that you do them unscripted I was really impressed.
Thank you. I do formulate a basic plan, and not saying I never go back and make corrections when I really mess up. Great opportunity to put all those years of presenting during meetings at work to a different application.

I really enjoyed watching the videos. Your machine looks and works just like my PM-1660TL, but I only have an RPC so I only have the stock 12 chuck RPMs available to me.

I really appreciate all the time that you put into filming and editing the video series. I learned a lot. Your machine is very clean & well maintained.

I have run my machine a lot in the 4 months that I have had it, and it is a champ.

erikmannie - thanks for the feedback, and glad you gained some new info. Yes, other than the size, mine should be an identical machine to yours from what I understand. How is your RPC working for you? I had a few questions about why anyone would want to choose the VFD over the RPC and I have some thoughts and plan to put out a video based on my experience with the VFD and why I would recommend it over the RPC. Curious your thought on the choice and if you have any issues with the RPC. I have heard ending start up is different with the RPC, some people blow breakers, or so I read online, but that is about the extent of my RPC knowledge. If you have any thoughts let me know and I will be sure to share that perspective in my upcoming video.

Mine is only 4 months old as well. Shipmates I guess. I am trying to keep her clean, sits most of the week so I try to clean her up Sunday evening and have her ready for the weekend projects.

erikmannie - thanks for the feedback, and glad you gained some new info. Yes, other than the size, mine should be an identical machine to yours from what I understand. How is your RPC working for you? I had a few questions about why anyone would want to choose the VFD over the RPC and I have some thoughts and plan to put out a video based on my experience with the VFD and why I would recommend it over the RPC. Curious your thought on the choice and if you have any issues with the RPC. I have heard ending start up is different with the RPC, some people blow breakers, or so I read online, but that is about the extent of my RPC knowledge. If you have any thoughts let me know and I will be sure to share that perspective in my upcoming video.

Mine is only 4 months old as well. Shipmates I guess. I am trying to keep her clean, sits most of the week so I try to clean her up Sunday evening and have her ready for the weekend projects.

I was anxious to get cutting, & I had no desire for a wiring project.

I bought an American Rotary AMP-10, & it was 100% easy to set up; that RPC is really quiet, & it is on wheels which I like because I like to sweep under it. I have the recommended 30A breaker, & it has never popped.

I use my TL lathe a lot, often 10 hours a day. I am surprised that I have had zero issues.

Another reason I didn’t get a VFD is because I didn’t want to have to fiddle with rewiring the foot brake. Only having the 12 spindle speeds does cramp my style a bit, but I always get it done.

Regarding stopping the chuck, a normal stop has it decelerating at the stock rate. If I want an immediate stop, I use the foot brake.

I don’t know if you have added CF yet, but I chose Mobilmet 766 neat cutting fluid & I am happy with my choice.

Last edited:
@BladesIIB or anybody else who owns a TL lathe:

If it is the case that one of the main gears on your PM-1440TL is made of blue nylon or plastic (you will see this when you take off the side cover to change your gear oil), consider watching this video from the 12:58 mark to see how that blue nylon gear is able to serve as a “fuse” (i.e. engineered weak link) in case of a crash.

Along these lines, I have not yet tried my clutch stop; that is, I have not yet moved it over to where I would need it (and tested it).

I’ll bet there is a clutch stop on a PM-1440TL. It would be located on the feed rod near the gear box. I’m going to get into the manual again tomorrow and see how this clutch stop is used. I believe that one just moves it over to where one would want it.

Last edited:
Back