PM 1440TL Getting Started With your New Lathe - Basic Operations, What to Practice and First Project Ideas

Other topics which could be discussed vis a vid a TL lathe:

(1) if it is the case that your cross slide DRO scale cover is blocking your cross slide lock, how do you go about locking your cross slide? I just tighten the 4 SHCS bolts that form a square around the cross slide backlash adjustment screw.

(2) are you up to speed on what may be a proprietary taper in the spindle nose in your PM-1440TL? Could be a Morse Taper #5 1/2? I wanted a bulky, one-piece dead center, and it was a fun project to make several of these as there were none to be found for purchase online. I used the reducing sleeve that came with the machine as a template.

(3) Speed 4 in my upper gearbox is considerably more noisy than any of speeds 1, 2 or 3 but I don’t care. Is this the case for your machine?

Last edited:
erikmannie- thanks for the additional info on the RPC. I will add that in my video to help people make their choice. FYI, the foot brake was not hard to re wire, added a double pole switch to keep same function of existing switch and send free run command to VFD. The one I added fit really well just had to drill 2 new holes in existing bracket.

Appreciate the tip on the coolant. I have not used any yet. Partly because I have not looked into what to get.

I will check on the blue gear and look at the video. I have not tried my clutch stop either. I asked about it when buying the lathe. I believe it works by moving the puck looking collar on the feed rod or was told it should work with the micro adjust stop as well?? When you get brave enough to try it let me know.

erikmannie- thought on your questions, comments above.

The video I am currently planning is a why you would want a VFD. This will not be TL specific, just why for any 3 phase lathe someone may have. If I do another one on the TL I will mention the topics you suggested.

I don’t appear to have the blue gear in my gear train. I do see it in the manual.

1) My DRO must be covering my cross slide lock, I don’t see it. Good to know the 4 bolts will lock it.

2) I am not sure what the headstock taper is. Was told it could be MT 6 when I asked before purchase. Like you I would use the sleeve as a guide if I wanted to make something.

3) I just checked and there is not a noticeable difference in noise for speed 4 in my headstock gearing. It is the fastest so more noise for the speed but nothing else that stood out to me.

Last edited:
1) My DRO must be covering my cross slide lock, I don’t see it. Good to know the 4 bolts will lock it.

Using the 4 socket head cap screws for the purpose of locking the cross slide is probably not a long term plan. There is every reason to believe that this method could accelerate wear on the mechanism that secures the cross slide backlash adjustment screw.

There are much more sturdy & efficient solutions to this given here:

Back